Sign in with
Your question

Another Sabertooth CPU light

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 11, 2011 4:19:43 PM

So I know there are a few topics on this already, but everything I've tried isn't working.

I was sitting there, doing my normal web browsing before retiring for the night, when all of a sudden my computer shuts down. I think "Well, that was certainly f***ing weird, better give it a minute before I try to turn it back on." So I wait a little while, then press the power button. The computer came on for.....2 seconds?....before shutting down again. Gave it more time, tried again, same result. So I waited yet more time, and decided to try it one last time. Now, the power will come up and stay up, but NOTHING happens. No POST beeps, no mobo screen, and my CPU LED became like a blazing sun of hate, signifying that I had a problem which simple tinkering isn't likely to solve.

I follow the normal route, and open it up. I check all of my connections (power cables, cpu setting in socket correctly, RAM in sockets correctly, the whole 9 yards), reseat the CPU (I havent checked for bent pins yet, but because this rig has worked just fine since 9-21-10, I doubt a bent pin is the issue), video card, and ram, then try to turn it on again.

Same result. Power to fans and lights, but nothing otherwise (post beep, mobo screen), and on top of that, NOW my DRAM light is on. I'm at a loss, and I'm going to RMA it if I can't get help either today or tomorrow.

On a secondary note, this will be my first RMA, and I'm unsure how this works. My 30-day newegg warranty is obviously over, but can I still RMA it through ASUS? If not, I hope to god it IS the motherboard before I drop $200 on a new one.

Rig:

SunBeam Transformer Case
Asus Sabertooth x58
Intel i7-950
G.Skill RipJaws 3x2GB
Corsair PSU, 750W
Fermi GTX470
WD Caviar Black 1.5Tb HD

More about : sabertooth cpu light

January 11, 2011 6:49:25 PM

I don't know the double posting rules on the site, so I apologize for this, but I'm desperate for help. Even if no one can offer any help for the mobo problem itself, feedback on bypassing newegg and going to ASUS for an RMA would be appreciated.

EDIT::: Cleared the CMOS and put in a fresh battery. I now have no issues, and am typing this from the computer in question.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 1:02:59 AM

Do you have a spare psu you can try. I haven't seen a lot of posts about the sabetooth boards having troubles but I haven't been to the asus forums in a while. There is a possibility the psu has gone out on you. - buy one, take it back if it still don't work. It's america, I will buy and open box item at a discount. :ange: 

Have you done the pull everything out - take the ram out and unplug all hdd, dvd drives and stuff, everything but the cpu and cooler and see if it starts and beeps at you for hardware issues?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 2:11:44 AM

FOLLOW THIS LINK and click on the Technical Support Form or RMA Form. When I did mine you had to go to tech support first and they would recommend the rma form if they couldn't solve it for you.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 2:22:57 AM

Sorry, must be double post thread. It won't let me edit my last post and I forgot to actually add the link. So - FOLLOW THIS LINK and follow before mentioned instructions
m
l
!