dwales84

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Hi. The monitor output my PC i built several years ago has all of a sudden stopped working.

Spec:
MB: Asus P4P800-E 865P chipset
P4 3.0 socket 478
ATI Radeon 9200 (AGP)
Vista Home Premium 32bit

I have swapped the graphics card a known working 9600XT (AGP again) but I still have the same problem. I guess either the MB or just the AGP slot is faulty. The HHD is spinning and the LED is flickering as normal.

Is it worth me buying a PCI graphics card and trying that or is it more likely that my MB has gone?

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Not to be a moron, but have you tried different monitors and cables?

I would not recommend spending money to buy something to test if one component of your motherboard is still working when you already know one component has gone bad, if that is the case. You can probably find a replacement motherboard for not much more than a pci video card will cost you to test it.

dwales84

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

sorry, yeah i should have mentioned that ive tried that so the monitor(s) are defiantly ok.
the trouble is finding a MB that would suit and I'm finding that there is a premium on outdated hardware.

my thoughts exactly

is the APG going a common fault? I've been building systems for years and years and this is the first one I've seen. I've had a few MBs go altogether but nothing like this.