Sign in with
Your question

Two 5770s, or 1 higher end graphics card on non crossfire compat mobo?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2010 10:56:32 PM

Hey, first time builder question here.

I was just wondering how much harder it would be for me to setup crossfire with two 5770s/5750s rather than a single higher end graphic card. I was just wondering because ive heard it is a pain to setup crossfire as a new builder and you can sometimes run into problems. Would it be more beneficial for me to just get a single graphics card so i dont have to deal with crossfire and picking a compatible mobo? or maybe i should pick a mobo that is crossfire compatible but only get a single higher end card in it and i can add another one 1 or 2 years down the line. Any information and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
a c 179 U Graphics card
August 30, 2010 11:01:20 PM

I usually recommend leaving crossfire as an upgrade option rather than getting it to start with, two 5770s will perform between a 5850 and a 5870, so i would go for a 5850 instead and then if you decide you need more graphics power you can add another in the future rather than selling of your other two cards and needing to buy a stronger one.
August 30, 2010 11:36:03 PM

So to be clear, you suggest i get the 5850 with a crossfire compatible mobo and add another 5850 down the line? Also are radeons the only viable option or would something from nvidia be as good or better? And would you mind also recommending a mobo to go with your recommendation, and a phenom x4 955, and some crucial ram. Thanks!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2010 11:45:11 PM

The best SLI option that nVidia has to offer is the GTX 460s with 1GB memory. Performance wise, it's between an HD5830 and HD5850. However, the SLI scales very well once you hook two of these up together. If you are considering any options that deal with Crossfire or SLI, you'll need a PSU that is efficient enough. My advice is to shop for the PSU first then work your way down to other components.
August 31, 2010 12:52:30 AM

I would go for either a 470 and add another when you have the cash or same with a 5850. Personally I like ATI cards better but thats just me, either way both are really good gpus.
Havent researched at all about this but I was pretty sure that the 6000 series cards wont be coming out anytime soon - there will be revisions of the 5000 but the 6 will be launched under the new branding of AMD Radeon (AMD has confirmed they are removing the ATI brand name), which wont be till 2011.

Even if I'm wrong Ive lost so much money waiting for cards to be released and buying on launch. So imo your better off buying something now and then upgrading once prices go down on the new series.
a c 355 U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 1:07:03 AM

I would simply buy the HD 5850 because not all games scale up with multiple video cards.

Meaning not all games will take advantage of CrossFire or SLI.
August 31, 2010 1:25:00 AM

How prevalent is crossfire/sli not scaling up with games? And i think im gunna go with the 5850 with non crossfire compatible board, and just upgrade the video card down the line. Would this be the easiest/best option for a first build?
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 1:51:36 AM

If you're going to upgrade down the line, why not buy a mobo that supports xfire/sli now? No point in buying a single-card mobo and then have to buy another mobo along with another card later.
September 1, 2010 10:18:49 PM

bliss421 said:
How prevalent is crossfire/sli not scaling up with games? And i think im gunna go with the 5850 with non crossfire compatible board, and just upgrade the video card down the line. Would this be the easiest/best option for a first build?

Not all prevalent anymore in my experience, I have 2 5870s and almost never play games that dont support or scale for multi gpus. At least all the games I play that actually can stretch more than 1 5870 scale fine and for that ones that dont push my setup they may not be scaling but still getting decent fps so its not really an issue.
Also as skolpo says, if your upgrading your mobo I'd go for one that supports both sli and cf so your not limited for choice down the track.
!