Upgrading 8800gts 320 mb video card

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2010 11:29:26 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: semptember 2010

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: watching movies(blu ray and dvd),playing batman arkham asylum and spiderman web of shadows at max settings

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:8800gts 320 mb pci-e 1.0 ecs and rosewill 600 watt psu

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: e6300 c2d,intel dg965wh mobo,4 gb ddr2 667 ram,coolermaster storm scout case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: nvidia preferred but open to ati

OVERCLOCKING: no SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: monitor is 24 inches and want to run max settings

More about : upgrading 8800gts 320 video card

a c 236 U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 12:12:06 AM

you showed no budget so

$150 ATI 5770 - OK
$200 Nvidia GTX 460 768mb - good
$220, the Nvidia GTX 460 1GB - better

I would not spend more money then that since your CPU, RAM, and mobo are starting to get long in the tooth and could use an upgrade soon. Also, OC your CPU will help in gaming.
August 31, 2010 1:01:35 AM

the gtx 460 1 gb looks like that will do the job thanks.i havent really set a budget i guess 250 max
Related resources
a c 190 U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 10:04:12 AM

^+1
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 10:19:29 AM

The MSi is the lesser card out of the two, Not by much but enough that you might lose 3% or so overall performance and its fan and radiator are slightly too big for some internal component setups such as after-market CPU coolers and SLi setups(not in every case, but it must be noted none the less) however it does include a free game which is worth a bit, The Asus performs better and If your not so interested in the game I would pick this one.
August 31, 2010 2:41:45 PM

And do yourself a favor, change that rosewill psu!

Brad
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 7:26:01 PM

decode said:
The MSi is the lesser card out of the two, Not by much but enough that you might lose 3% or so overall performance and its fan and radiator are slightly too big for some internal component setups such as after-market CPU coolers and SLi setups(not in every case, but it must be noted none the less) however it does include a free game which is worth a bit, The Asus performs better and If your not so interested in the game I would pick this one.

Where do you get this stuff from? How on earth would a CPU cooler conflict with a card cooler? Video cards face DOWN away from the cpu socket so that is literally impossible unless the CPU cooler is extremely creatively engineered. Also 3% performance? You must have made that up. I'm not even saying your overall point is wrong but the reasons you give don't even make sense.
August 31, 2010 9:27:24 PM

lol yeah that psu was given to me i am looking to replace with corsair unit soon
a c 236 U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 9:33:45 PM

decode said:

I own the MSI GTX cyclone, none of the things you stated are true....
!