Sign in with
Your question

9800GT OC-SC keeps shutting off

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 31, 2010 12:03:59 AM

Hello,
I have a XFX 8200 MOBO overclocked with a 9800gt super clocked Running the on board graphics of the 8200 the computer runs fine without shutting off...
When I plug power into my 9800 and plug everything in.. My computer will run fine at 80fps for the game im playing... but slowly the fps will go down and either throw a display error or just shut off.. I Have 7 fans and a Cooler master liquid cooled set up but liquid only runs to the CPU. The GPU is only reaching 60c max... But if i open the side of the computer and put a massive fan on the graphics card it wont shut down... it will only slow down instead. So I work with no graphics card but i dont work with a graphics card...

Specs: 500W Ultra PSU
8200 Overclocked MOBO with 1gb Ram
2.88GHx4
9800GT Superclocked EVGA Model 512ddr3

I am also running it on my graphic card at 1080p on my 52inch... It only has dvi ports.. When im running Onboard graphics im using VGA to my LCD monitor.. I dont know if that makes any difference...

More about : 9800gt shutting

a b Î Nvidia
a c 235 U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 12:07:24 AM

try under clocking you card, see if that helps.

how old is your PSU?
m
l
August 31, 2010 12:19:39 AM

PSU is about 2 years old... Ive already tried lowering everything down to minimum but it still does the same thing slows down and shuts off after about 7-15 minutes from room temp of 73 degrees F.... If i use the big fan it stays running but if i take the fan off 2 or 3 minutes later it shuts down
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 235 U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 12:21:56 AM

73c is cool for the 9800GT, it can easily get into the 80's at load. I owned one.

anything else OC, CPU, RAM?
m
l
August 31, 2010 12:32:20 AM

it has never reach 70celcius my room is 73 fahrenhiet but my GPU Doesnt reach anywhere near there but it still shuts off like its overheating... CPU runs fine and im using the computer right now to talk to you without my GPU in... I have 2 sticks of ram from what i see on the MOBO...

Another thing is it shuts off no matter what im doing 7-15minutes in everytime with the 9800 plugged in... The old OS was Windows XP but the OS HD took a crap so i bought windows 7 and made my PATA 160gb my OS Drive, and put a PATA 500gb slave as back up... Ive completely updated the Graphics card for 64b windows 7 and same with the MOBO... The OC mobo is on Low..
m
l
August 31, 2010 12:34:42 AM

Idk if this would cause it but I did not download SLI onto the Graphics card yet..
m
l
August 31, 2010 12:59:41 AM

Also to add so were clear on everything... It has a 6pin to 4 pin but it had 2 4pins do they both need to be plugged into power?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 235 U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 1:10:14 AM

nightriderx2 said:
Also to add so were clear on everything... It has a 6pin to 4 pin but it had 2 4pins do they both need to be plugged into power?

for the 9800GT one 4 pin is usually enough but it won't hurt to set up both.
m
l
August 31, 2010 1:58:06 AM

ct1615 said:
for the 9800GT one 4 pin is usually enough but it won't hurt to set up both.

I leaning towards card failure at this point i dont think theres anything else i can think of ive done everything...
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2010 6:29:18 AM

I have the exact same card. It has been giving me terrible problems since i have had it. But, I let my friend build this comp and its all kinda funny.
ECS Black series Mobo, with an AMD Athlon X2 3.2Ghz Dual Core Porcessor, EVGA 9800GT Superclocked, 8gig ram 1TB HD.

Anyways, back to the card. I went into the Bios of the Mobo and turned off Temp shut downs, and turned off the OC of the card. Yet i still needed to have a big ass box fan on the side with the case open to be able to play any game. I modded out the case, increased air flow and put a 70mm exhauts fan right next to the heat sinks on the card in the side panel. Dwnloaded the EVGA precision timing tool and cranked the fan speed to 100% on the card.
http://www.evga.com/precision/

By default it will run at 30%... ALL THE TIME. it dose NOT increase the fan speed on the card as teh temp goes up. So setting it to start at 100% when the computer comes on helps keep it running cooler. Mine now currently runs at 52C when Idle.

But for some reason now it crashes out at 66C.... When it would run up to 71-74C before crashing. Might be a default somewhere taht got reset when i pulled teh card out to clean out the heat sink and fan. Dunno. Been dealing with it for 2 years now or so and just gonna trash this system and upgrade lol.

Also you said you have a 500W PSU? The vid card really needs to have a 650w or up. I run a 750W psu and that keeps it running. Had a 500w powering it and had roughly the same issues with slowing doan and crashing on top of some incompatability issues.
m
l
September 15, 2010 7:35:04 AM

nightriderx2 said:
I leaning towards card failure at this point i dont think theres anything else i can think of ive done everything...

Try investing in a 460 gtx its the best card for the money. Definetley would be a really nice upgrade for you.
m
l
!