Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Low-end gaming PC prospective build

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2010 5:00:39 AM

Hello,
So my parents are sick of having a computer that's on its slow and painful path to death (onboard graphics long gone, onboard USB dead as of a few months ago, onboard NIC starting to get flaky.. its a Gateway, what do you expect?)
Anywho they put me in charge of furnishing them with a replacement. The intended use:
Mainly basic use (word processing, web browsing, email), with some gaming (none of the newest, I think Runes of Magic is the most hardware-intensive game my sister wants to play). The biggie is that they want it to be able to last ~6-10 years.

EDIT: Copy and pastey stuff that I didn't notice until after I posted .. oops

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 months

Budget Range: <600 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: light gaming/basic everyday usage

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'd like to keep it all newegg to make ordering simpler

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: higher reliability is preferred, other than that I could care less which brand (well... no Gateway)

Overclocking: Probably not

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not

Monitor Resolution:1440 x 900 (keeping the current monitor which we have.. 22"widescreen)

Here's what I came up with:
CPU - $140: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black AM3, 3.2GHz

MoBo - $60: ASRock M3A770DE (AM3, 4 ports DDR3 1600, 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16)

RAM - $85: G.Skill Ripjaws 2-2GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

Case - $55: Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid-Tower

PSU - $60 w/ MIR: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V - Not sure about this one since it says ATX12V.

Graphics - $25 w/ MIR: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4350 PCI-E 2.0 x16

Optical drive-$22: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS-324-98 (planning on putting in a Blu-Ray once those get more popular and drop in price)

HDD Drive - $70x2: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM SATAII (two of them for a RAID 1)

MoBo comes with 2 SATA cables, but I am thinking about going for one 18" for the DVD drive and another 10" for one of the HDDs, since I'm not sure how long the cables that come with the MoBo will be. An odd thing about this case is that the PSU mounts on the bottom.

Any input would be great, but a thing to keep in mind is that I want this to be as much of a budget computer as possible, while still being one with decent longevity

not sure if this link will work, but nonetheless here you go:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...

Best solution

October 17, 2010 5:05:13 AM

Quote:
Mainly basic use (word processing, web browsing, email), with some gaming

You have spent $587AR and thats hards to swallow with a HD 4350 and dun think u need a quad so

$394AR
October 17, 2010 8:47:04 PM

Best answer selected by killersquirel11.
m
l
October 18, 2010 7:19:43 AM

Yep happy shopping/building and cheers ^^
m
l
!