Sign in with
Your question

Write protection on Toshiba external hard drive.

Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2013 2:08:14 PM

when i try copying something on my external hard drive i get disk error message media file is write protected pllssssssss help me
March 22, 2013 8:21:38 AM

Hello!

I had the same problem on my Toshiba 1TB Canvio Basics USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive. I searched and tried all methods that were available online and none of them worked. This issue came up after I tried copying over 100 GB of data to my portable hard drive from my PC.

My Solution:
Uninstall and re-install the driver. To do this, do the following:

1) Go to My Computer.
2) Right-click on the hard disk drive.
3) Go to the Hardware tab.
4) Make sure the hard drive is selected and then click Properties at the bottom.
5) Go to the Driver tab.
6) Click Uninstall button.
7) Click OK.
8) Follow prompts to Restart your computer. Note: Leave the hard drive plugged into your computer when you restart.
9) After the computer reboots and you log back in, Windows will now install the driver.
10) Once it has finished installing, you should be able to write onto the hard drive again.

These steps worked for me, and I hope they work for you too. I understand how frustrating it gets, especially if formatting your hard drive is NOT AN OPTION!

All the best!

m
l
Related resources
July 9, 2013 9:17:20 AM

Thank you; sadly, "Uninstall" is "greyed out" in my window, so it isn't an option. :( 
m
l
October 20, 2013 2:05:25 PM

Hey my man....I had the same problem and spent several hours on this thing...I did what you said about uninstalling the drive...and wowwwww... it works. I cannot believe the time I spent on this crape and all the software I downloaded listing to these other jerks...and none of them worked. You saved the day "you are the man"...

czarina87 said:
Hello!

I had the same problem on my Toshiba 1TB Canvio Basics USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive. I searched and tried all methods that were available online and none of them worked. This issue came up after I tried copying over 100 GB of data to my portable hard drive from my PC.

My Solution:
Uninstall and re-install the driver. To do this, do the following:

1) Go to My Computer.
2) Right-click on the hard disk drive.
3) Go to the Hardware tab.
4) Make sure the hard drive is selected and then click Properties at the bottom.
5) Go to the Driver tab.
6) Click Uninstall button.
7) Click OK.
8) Follow prompts to Restart your computer. Note: Leave the hard drive plugged into your computer when you restart.
9) After the computer reboots and you log back in, Windows will now install the driver.
10) Once it has finished installing, you should be able to write onto the hard drive again.

These steps worked for me, and I hope they work for you too. I understand how frustrating it gets, especially if formatting your hard drive is NOT AN OPTION!

All the best!

m
l
!