Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best 478 Pentium 4 3.4Ghz- 1MB CPU

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 11, 2011 8:06:45 PM

What is the best Best 478 Pentium 4 3.4Ghz- 1MB CPU? And how do I tell it from the others?
What is the marking on it to look for. I am thinking that it would be one of the Prescots.
I know that there is a 2MB model but that cost as much a new Sandy Bridge I5, $200.

My friend has an old PC that he will only upgrade with tax money but this year it's a new Smart phone that is getting the dough. So He wants to upgrade the only thing that he can cheaply in this PC.
January 11, 2011 8:16:45 PM

For $178 save your friend a world of misery, dissapointment and frustration and get something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

I've resurrected my fair share of socket 478 boards, but that was 2 years ago. Are you set on purchasing a new 478 CPU? Or do you have access to a bucketful of them and you just need to know which one is fastest?
m
0
l
a c 126 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 8:24:51 PM

^This is right honestly. While a Pentium 4 might work fine for some people its till extremley archaich in PC terms. My fiance uses my old system which has a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition which was the best 478 CPU you could find, I got it for $150 when it was a $1500 CPU so yea, win.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27490

Thats the best one. There was a Prescott based one but it didn't perform any better than the Northwood based Pentium 4.

But if you do want to go with reviving that system you will want to make sure it has at least 2GB of memory, SATA based HDDs (if SATA 3.0 is available go for them) and of course at least a ATI X800+ GPU.

Still a new system, even low end Core i3 or Athlon II X2, would blow it away.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 11, 2011 9:15:22 PM

The PC works now with a 1.6Ghz Pentium but he wants to eek out a little more performance but don't want to spend more than about $50, till he upgrade to Sandy Bridge or what ever is good for mainstream next February. The RAM is maxed out with 2GBs and he is running Windows 7.
m
0
l
a c 126 à CPUs
January 11, 2011 9:21:50 PM

^Next February will probably have Ivy Bridge, the 22nm die shrink of Sandy Bridge.

But the CPU I listed is the best Pentium 4 for the PGA478 socket out. I will say that even compared to my Pentium 4 3.2GHz, that Extreme Edition really was a lot faster. On my 3.2GHz, it took about 20-30 minutes to run DVD Shrink. With the 3.4GHz EE, it went to 7 minutes.
m
0
l
January 11, 2011 10:12:36 PM

OOOoooKKkkkk! What's the SECOND best 478 CPU .. .. .. .. ?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 1:10:12 AM

bruhthakuga said:
The PC works now with a 1.6Ghz Pentium but he wants to eek out a little more performance but don't want to spend more than about $50, till he upgrade to Sandy Bridge or what ever is good for mainstream next February. The RAM is maxed out with 2GBs and he is running Windows 7.


I would watch out that the chipset would support a higher end P4.
A chipset for a 1.6 will more than likely not support a HT P4.
I think you would at least need an Intel 875p chipset if I remember right. (maybe 845?)
If Craigslist is available in your area then invest the money into a used system IMO.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 1:53:42 AM

I wouldn't waste any money on a 478 system anymore. If you are dead set on upgrading it, find out what is the latest CPU the motherboard will run. Then go to eBay or microcenter.com and pick up any used/open box 478 chip for $10...

Check this link http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?...

I would bet if you have Pentium 4 1.6Ghz @ 400MHz FSB... I don't think the Prescott 478's will drop in. Also, your board might not support some of the features of the later P4's like 800MHz FSB and hyperthreading. Also the stock fan and heatsink for the 1.6GHz is much to small, and you will need to hunt around for a larger cooling solution. And P4 over 2.8GHz are usually HOT!

I got a P4 670 3.8GHz 775 CPU still in use... it does make a nice space here in my bedroom at night when I got it downloaded BT overnight.

I will also fully agree with NapoleonDK... should just get that kind of Kit and be done with it... and if you don't want something like that... just hold off a few months for what you really want. Upgrading anything 2 or 3 generations behind is a time waster and a budget killer for your future needs. :pt1cable: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 2:20:53 AM

^ agreed %100
a cheap LGA775 used system with decent mobo/psu/case is easily under $200 USD in Northeast USA on Craigslist.
If the PSU and Case are decent enough they can be re-used for future builds
Plus the HDs and Optical drive (s).
I just bought and upgraded an Dell Optiplex 745 Core 2 Duo for $135 USD.
Makes a decent office/multimedia/light gamer system.
If your friend can only afford $50 right now then either save up or buy an upgrade that can used with future build.
m
0
l
January 13, 2011 2:42:32 AM

Sometimes I wonder if I write in human, it's gotta be me.

He is going to build a Ubber Rig but for now he just want to get some more speed for daily use til then, RAM is already maxed out. Wasting money on a 775 that can go towards a Sandy Bridge is far worst then spending $50 on a CPU.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 2:52:55 AM

I apologize just for trying to help.
quote myself "If your friend can only afford $50 right now then either save up or buy an upgrade that can used with future build."
Seriously the best thing you could do for the speed of the machine
would be do a clean re-install of Windows if it has been awhile.
But what do I know. I just fix them everyday for a living.
That machine doesnt support anything more than a P4 2.4 non-HT.
If you would list chipset for board and model number of mother board then
MAYBE we will be NICE enough to volunteer our time looking up compatible
CPUs which can be done in less than a half hour on Google.
You haven't mentioned really any specs for machine that are needed.
IDE or Sata? PCI/AGP video? etc
We dont speak human at THG.
We speak GEEK

m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 8:47:24 AM

As I said earlier...

"I wouldn't waste any money on a 478 system anymore. If you are dead set on upgrading it, find out what is the latest CPU the motherboard will run. Then go to eBay or microcenter.com and pick up any used/open box 478 chip for $10... "

if you can only afford $50 now... whats the use. Wait for your Uber Rig.
m
0
l
January 13, 2011 6:16:13 PM

King smp is spot on. In fact, all the posters here have had fantastic input.

I personally don't foresee a radical difference in moving from a 1.6 P4 to a 2.4 P4. It's like upgrading from a 1986 Toyota Tercel to a 1988 Chevy Cavalier. Yes you'll see improvement, but hardly enough to necessitate even opening the case. =\

A 1.6P4 will to a single thread of SuperPI 1M in 105 seconds. (Existing)
A 2.4P4 (Providing your board will even take the 800Mhz bus) will do it in 76 seconds. (On sale for $10 http://www.outletpc.com/c1841.html)
An Athlon II X2 260 will do two threads in 24 seconds.

Give us some actual model numbers and we might be more helpful.

EDIT: Link fail, try this, it shows all available procs: http://www.outletpc.com/cpus--processors--intel-pentium...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 7:31:00 PM

Thank you NapoleonDK.
I just want to help the OP but they have to accept the
reality that with the RAM maxed out there isnt much to do to
the machine.
It would help to know whether it is onboard graphics or a video card.
If it is onboard then something like a FX5000 or FX6000 or ATI Radeon 9000 series card bought REAL cheap preferably used on Ebay could help.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 7:32:45 PM

BTW NapoleonDK nice rig not newest tech but all top of line components.
I am hoping to get a Q6600.
Have you OCd it?
If you want to PM me so we dont hijack this thread go ahead.
m
0
l
January 13, 2011 10:47:35 PM

To be sure I am hearing correctly, going from a

* 1.6Ghz-400Mhz bus- 256KB cache 478 Pentium 4
to a
* 3.4Ghz-800Mhz bus- 1MB cache 478 Pentium 4

will not give any performance gains?

The mobo, CPU, and RAM from a 775 rig will not be useful on a Sandy Bridge rig. Do you think I can find a mobo, CPU and DDR2 for a 775 rig for the same $50 that'll a 478 CPU will cost? If so that'll be great. Clean install was done.
m
0
l
January 13, 2011 11:09:47 PM

The mobo will support all 478 CPUs and 800 Mhz bus

* More than double processor speed
* More than triple Cache
* Double bus speed

None of these will have an effect
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 11:29:50 PM

bruhthakuga said:
The mobo will support all 478 CPUs and 800 Mhz bus

* More than double processor speed
* More than triple Cache
* Double bus speed

None of these will have an effect


well if the mobo will support ALL 478 cpus then of course a Pentium Extreme Edition cpu will destroy the 1.6
The fastest is the Pentium 4 965 Extreme Edition.
Also the Pentium 4 840 and 820 were good chips
with that said usually a mobo that runs a 1.6 won't run a P4 EE.
I dont understand why a 1.6 would be on a Intel 8xx or 9xx chipset mobo.
you need an intel chipset 8xx or 9xx to run the Northwood/Prescotts/Preslers
what is the chipset model number on motherboard along with motherboard model number?
m
0
l
a c 126 à CPUs
January 14, 2011 1:34:15 AM

king smp said:
well if the mobo will support ALL 478 cpus then of course a Pentium Extreme Edition cpu will destroy the 1.6
The fastest is the Pentium 4 965 Extreme Edition.
Also the Pentium 4 840 and 820 were good chips
with that said usually a mobo that runs a 1.6 won't run a P4 EE.
I dont understand why a 1.6 would be on a Intel 8xx or 9xx chipset mobo.
you need an intel chipset 8xx or 9xx to run the Northwood/Prescotts/Preslers
what is the chipset model number on motherboard along with motherboard model number?


One problem here. The CPUs you listed were not released for PGA478, only LGA775. All Northwood based Pentium 4s were PGA478 but only a few Prescotts were PGA478, the most were LGA775. Presler was only LGA775:

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=27511,27512,27514...,

There was another arch on PGA478, Gallatin, that was still on the 130nm process and was specifically the Extreme Editions (the 3.2GHz and 3.4GHz I listed above) as well as a 3.4GHz and 3.46Ghz version for LGA775 all which had a 2MB L3 cache unlike the standard Pentium 4 based CPUs. Presler was Pentium D and was only LGA775. Prescott was mainly built for LGA775 and DDR2 as was Prescott 2M and Cedar Mill (the successor and much better arch of Presler, both were 65nm).

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=27504,27501,27489

One of those three will fit the socket and are the best CPUs for PGA478. Not sure if they can even be found since its been about 6 years since PGA478 was sent to rest. I don't suggest the Prescott versions because even with a 1MB L2 cache instead of 512KB, it didn't perform any better than the Northwood versions or run any cooler.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2011 2:10:01 AM

jimmysmitty said:
One problem here. The CPUs you listed were not released for PGA478, only LGA775. All Northwood based Pentium 4s were PGA478 but only a few Prescotts were PGA478, the most were LGA775. Presler was only LGA775:

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=27511,27512,27514...,

There was another arch on PGA478, Gallatin, that was still on the 130nm process and was specifically the Extreme Editions (the 3.2GHz and 3.4GHz I listed above) as well as a 3.4GHz and 3.46Ghz version for LGA775 all which had a 2MB L3 cache unlike the standard Pentium 4 based CPUs. Presler was Pentium D and was only LGA775. Prescott was mainly built for LGA775 and DDR2 as was Prescott 2M and Cedar Mill (the successor and much better arch of Presler, both were 65nm).

http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=27504,27501,27489

One of those three will fit the socket and are the best CPUs for PGA478. Not sure if they can even be found since its been about 6 years since PGA478 was sent to rest. I don't suggest the Prescott versions because even with a 1MB L2 cache instead of 512KB, it didn't perform any better than the Northwood versions or run any cooler.


You are %100 absolutely right.
I am slipping in my old age LOL.
The P4 3.06 or 3.2 HT s478 Northwood should be easy to get at least in US on Ebay.
m
0
l
a c 126 à CPUs
January 14, 2011 2:22:46 AM

^It happens. No worries.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2011 2:28:41 PM

If he has a 1.6A now, and his board can support up to 3.4Ghz P4... that means when the machine was new they already installed a 2 year old CPU with a new board. Seems unlikely... is it an eMachine or one of the Walmart budget computers? Can you tell us exactly what motherboard or chipset it has? If it is Dell or Gateway or something, can you tell us a model number? There is too much guessing going on right now to tell you which is the highest you can run.

Let's say with your 1.6 it takes 5 minutes to compress a 150MB file with WinRAR, even if you switch to a 2.4GHz P4, it will still take you 4.5 minutes for that same file. If you switch to a 3.4GHz with HT, it will likely take around 3.5 to 4 minutes. Also you will have to check your power supply because P4's over 2.8GHz can easily exceed 95W and require additional cooling. So the heatsink and fan and possible the power supply you have now will be useless above 2.2GHz.

By asking about 1.6GHz Netburst versus a 3.4GHz Netburst CPU, you really will not see any significance speed increase like you want. Don't get me wrong, I am typing on a machine with a 3.8GHz P4 670 right now and it is fast enough, but my laptop with 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo chip is faster.

Think about how far can you get with that $50. An insignificant speed increase, and a significant wattage and heat increase. You will likely need to make sure your power supply is adequate and you will also need to purchase another large cooling solution. Just save the $50 for the "Uber Rig" you are planning... it can go towards more RAM or a better video card.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 14, 2011 2:47:44 PM

1965ohio said:
If he has a 1.6A now, and his board can support up to 3.4Ghz P4... that means when the machine was new they already installed a 2 year old CPU with a new board. Seems unlikely... is it an eMachine or one of the Walmart budget computers? Can you tell us exactly what motherboard or chipset it has? If it is Dell or Gateway or something, can you tell us a model number? There is too much guessing going on right now to tell you which is the highest you can run.

Let's say with your 1.6 it takes 5 minutes to compress a 150MB file with WinRAR, even if you switch to a 2.4GHz P4, it will still take you 4.5 minutes for that same file. If you switch to a 3.4GHz with HT, it will likely take around 3.5 to 4 minutes. Also you will have to check your power supply because P4's over 2.8GHz can easily exceed 95W and require additional cooling. So the heatsink and fan and possible the power supply you have now will be useless above 2.2GHz.

By asking about 1.6GHz Netburst versus a 3.4GHz Netburst CPU, you really will not see any significance speed increase like you want. Don't get me wrong, I am typing on a machine with a 3.8GHz P4 670 right now and it is fast enough, but my laptop with 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo chip is faster.

Think about how far can you get with that $50. An insignificant speed increase, and a significant wattage and heat increase. You will likely need to make sure your power supply is adequate and you will also need to purchase another large cooling solution. Just save the $50 for the "Uber Rig" you are planning... it can go towards more RAM or a better video card.


^ +10!
I couldn't say it better myself.
I am all about doing inexpensive upgrades and keeping older machines
viable (every broken unwanted tower I keep from the dump and turn into a
cheap useable tower for browsing is my way of being Green) but in this instance it just doesnt make sense.
There are plenty of ways to tweak a Windows install (disabling OS graphics features,turning off unneeded processes etc) and make it run smoother for now.
Just tweak it and live with it until the major build and save the money.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 15, 2011 6:54:46 AM

If you want more performance for $50... Here are a few options.

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/PC-Desktops-/179/i.html?...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Powerspec-9202-Conroe-PC-/260719762...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lenovo-Desktop-type-number-7360-A88...

These are all complete towers with Core 2 Duo chips over 2.4GHz and most of them are under $100 used even with large hard drives, and 2-4GB of memory. They will eat your highest clock Pentium 4 in an instant! :pt1cable:  :kaola: 
m
0
l
!