PCIE 3.0 8x = PCIE 2.0 16x

I have been reading all this hype about PCI-E 3.0 motherboards. It seems to me that if you are running a Crossfire setup the bandwith on PCI-E 3.0 8x is identical to 2.0 16x. This owing to the single 3.0 16x pcie slot which splits to two 8x slots. An example would be the ASRock Extreme 4 series.

Am I wrong?

Additionally, is there any GPU in the works that can max out a PCI-E 2.0 16x?
5 answers Last reply
More about pcie pcie
  1. Nobody? I didn't think I was asking a crazy question.
  2. Quote:
    It seems to me that if you are running a Crossfire setup the bandwith on PCI-E 3.0 8x is identical to 2.0 16x.

Not at all. You got it in the title: PCIE 3.0 @ 8x = PCIE 2.0 @ 16x.

Also no graphic card to date does max out the PCI-E 2.0 16X lanes, almost any card on the market doesn't even max out PCI-E 2.0 8X lanes or PCI-E 1.0 16x lanes. You could get the same performance from a PCI-E 3.0 card into a PCI-E 3.0 motherboard @ 4x, as you would get from and PCI-E 3.0 card into a PCI-E 1.0 motherboard @ 16x
  3. So, in terms of future proofing a new build, I'm looking at at Asrock Extreme4 Gen3 mobo. It should accept any technology that is coming in the foreseeable future?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157264

I think I'm close here:

1) I can upgrade to Ivy Bridge when it comes out (or when prices come down a bit), giving me the opportunity to stay relevant for a few more years.
    2) This board will accept any SLI/Crossfire setup that is coming including the new 7970.
  4. If the signal pass though NF200 chip, that means it only has PCIe 2.0 performance, which is what Gigabyte is claiming, dont know how they do it with only a BIOS update to make it PCIE 3.0. Maybe they have some other technology that people dont know.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards PCI Express Product