Sign in with
Your question
Solved

X58 Config I'm Looking At

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2010 9:09:26 AM

Well I'm in desperate need of a new system as my current rig is nearing 5 years old. Wanting to get some feedback on this cyberpower system I configured. As it's only a little over a month away now, I may wait till cybermonday to place the order to get a little better deal. Thanks for any suggestions.

Price: $1,321.00

CASE:CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Side Panel Window

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU:[Special] Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

HDD:40 GB Intel X25-V 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
HDD2:500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

MEMORY:6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (A-Data Gaming Series with Heat Spreader

MOTHERBOARD: (2-Way SLI Support) Asus Sabertooth X58 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3 FCLGA1366 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, SATA-II RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

POWERSUPPLY:* 650 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card(EVGA Powered by NVIDIA)

P.s. Looking to achieve a stable 4.2GHz OC on the cpu(realistic?). Will probably add in a 2nd video card at a later time.

More about : x58 config

October 17, 2010 12:39:49 PM

You definetly have way too much invested in your cpu and not enough in gpu. Are building this for gaming? If so, stick with a p55 board instead and invest more into a better gpu.

Better yet, build it yourself and you'll save even more money and be able to get the most bang for your buck.

So what are you gonna be using the system for? And whats your budget?
m
l
October 17, 2010 4:23:45 PM

bavman said:
You definetly have way too much invested in your cpu and not enough in gpu. Are building this for gaming? If so, stick with a p55 board instead and invest more into a better gpu.

I thought the gts 450 did very well in sli (GeForce_GTS_450_SLI) comparable to the Radeon HD 5850 and GeForce GTX 470.

bavman said:
Better yet, build it yourself and you'll save even more money and be able to get the most bang for your buck.

No, surprisingly. This morning I filled carts at both mwave and newegg to build this system both sites cost more than cyberpower. Even before they added the shipping charges both shopping carts were over $1400 (of the two newegg was cheaper, but still more than a $100 more than cyberpower).

bavman said:
So what are you gonna be using the system for? And whats your budget?

Budget is about $1300. For gaming at times, multimedia with independent dual monitors at others. And I do a lot of multi tasking (multiple bowser windows, and a word processor, and video encoding simultaneously).
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2010 1:13:19 AM

Case
ram/cpu/mobo combo
HDD
DVD/CD drive
PSU/GPU combo
CPU cooler

Total $1165(include shipping) - 75 MIR = $1090 + 100 for windows 7 = $1190.

That leaves you with a gpu thats 2x stronger than the one you had on your build, and $130 saved, which you can use to buy an ocz or g.skill 60gb ssd boot drive

It'll also leave you room to buy another 5850 in the future to crossfire.
m
l
October 21, 2010 9:31:03 AM

Can the 5850 configure independent(not cloned) dual monitors? I thought you needed two cards to run two monitors independently.

I'm reluctant to do a p55 build due to issues of future compatibility with cpus and tri-channel, which may show more of an advantage in the future than it does now.
m
l

Best solution

October 21, 2010 5:30:23 PM

Yes, all radeon cards with eyefinity will run up to 3 monitors. IMO id stick with the p55 because your doing pure gaming. It'll last you several years easily because with that mobo you'll be able to add another 5870 for more extra gpu power. If your overclock your cpu to 4ghz which shouldnt be hard at all with that cooler than you'll be set for several years, after which just build another computer.
October 22, 2010 10:29:43 AM

Best answer selected by Barbarossa.
m
l
!