Hot-swap my a**

cmyk

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hi,

sorry for the rude title. :)

We have a Lacie 5big Network2 in our office. It's a raid 5 with 5 2TB disks.
When I ordered it in September 2011 I wisely ordered a spare disk along with it.
It's common to have spare disks handy to replace a faulty disk immediately to prevent data loss.

Now, today, the disk 5 failed. I easily remove the sled with the disk and was getting a screw driver, when I saw the "Warranty Void" seal over one screw that holds the disk to the sled. There's not electronic connection between the frame and the disk whatsover, it's just a metal frame to guarantee that the connectors fit.
I called lacie Switzerland. Some gal who didn't have a clue about raid said, I'd have to talk to the seller to organize an exchange.
In a best case scenario an exchange takes 48 hours.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?
How about just being able to screw the defective drive off the frame and send that to lacie for replacement. Why the heck does it have to be attached to a surely non-defective lump of metal?

Lacie is just another company grown too big to be in touch with its customers. It's ridiculous.

cmyk

LaCieTech

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Hi,

"Hot swap-able" refers to the unit and not the individual components. You are able to to put another disk in and the RAID would rebuild, thus: hot swapping it. That should not imply that the device is clear to be disassembled and reassembled. We offer replacement disks already in sleds and have a swap program to send them out when necessary. If you got a spare disk not already in a sled then it was not a LaCie product.

If you go to our website at www.lacie.com/mystuff and submit a support ticket - our technical staff can discuss the option of waiving the warranty void in order for you to replace the disk yourself or they may offer to send out a new one in a sled for you. Please contact them to discuss the options.

~mn, LaCie

Since Seagate now owns Lacie, are all the replacement drives Seagate products? Just curious ...

http://www.seagate.com/about/newsroom/press-releases/seagate-lacie-completion-acquisition-controlling-interest-master-pr/

RealBeast

Titan