How can I extend battery life? I'm confused.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 2:05:33 AM

I recently bought my very first laptop computer. It's a Toshiba A70
(Pentium-4 3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM, etc) May I know the best practise of
extending the battery life? What I mean is not only extending the time
between recharge, but also more importantly, the life of the battery
itself. I've heard of horrible stories that the battery of a laptop can
degrade rapidly (say,15 minutes between recharge) after one year of
use. I don't want to repeat this story.

What I usually do so far is to use the battery power (i.e disconnect
the AC cord) as much as I can even if I could access AC power. I
usually use up all the batter power until it automatically goes to
hibernate mode. I then recharge the battery without turning the laptop
on. After the battery gets fully recharged, I will unplug the power
cable and repeat the above process again.

Is that the right way to do it?

I've heard of some advices that I should never drain the battery to 0%
(or close to 0%). Is that true?

If it is true, what I am doing is totally wrong! Should I plug in the
AC power to use the laptop whenever I can access AC power?

Should I fully recharge the battery everytime?

I've heard that DVD can also drain battery life quickly. If I don't
play DVD, I don't think it it will use the battery, right?

Is there any need for me to "disable" the DVD feature (is that even
possible?)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Dom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 2:25:43 AM

Oh no! not ANOTHER battery care thread.

Whatever u do, do not run out and buy one of those ugly polyurethane
"glove" to fit over the laptop so it won't scratch.

This gotta be one of the most often question EVER asked in the history
of humanity. Make use of http://groups.google.com archive of this
forum, u will find everything that was ever said about this subject
and you will keep yourself busy for weeks. Have a ball.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 2:45:52 AM

Thanks, Barry! It's great to see your reply before I continue my
mistake.

Is the following what you mean?

- At home/office/wherever I can access AC Power:
Remove the battery from the laptop. Plug in the AC cord. I can now use
my laptop as long as I need.

- When I'm about to use it on-the-road:
Install the battery back to the laptop. Plug in the AC cord to recharge
the battery. Recharge it fully.

My another question is whether it is bad for battery life if I keep
using the computer while recharging.

- When I'm on-the-road (no AC access)
Use the battery power until it is down to 30% or so. (Right figure?)
Then, recharge the battery again.

Is my understanding correct?

Barry Watzman wrote:
> What you are doing is not good for the battery.
>
> When the laptop is going to be on AC for a while (most of a day or
> more), remove the battery completely. The evidence suggests that,
more
> often than not, leaving the battery in the laptop when it's on AC for
> long time is not good for it.
>
> The battery has a limited number of charge-discharge cycles. The
number
> is probably in the range of 300 to 500. What you are doing now is
> "using these up" unnecessarily. That's one of the worst things you
can do.

> It's best not to take the battery below about 20%. Most battery
mfgrs.
> seem to recommend that if the battery is going to be stored "long
term"
> that it be stored at about a 60% charge. Some, however, recommend
> storage at "full charge" with a partial cycle (some use & recharge)
> every 90 days or so. It's not clear on that aspect.
>
> The DVD drive isn't a significant issue.
>

> domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > I recently bought my very first laptop computer. It's a Toshiba A70
> > (Pentium-4 3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM, etc) May I know the best practise of
> > extending the battery life? What I mean is not only extending the
time
> > between recharge, but also more importantly, the life of the
battery
> > itself. I've heard of horrible stories that the battery of a laptop
can
> > degrade rapidly (say,15 minutes between recharge) after one year of
> > use. I don't want to repeat this story.
> >
> > What I usually do so far is to use the battery power (i.e
disconnect
> > the AC cord) as much as I can even if I could access AC power. I
> > usually use up all the batter power until it automatically goes to
> > hibernate mode. I then recharge the battery without turning the
laptop
> > on. After the battery gets fully recharged, I will unplug the power
> > cable and repeat the above process again.
> >
> > Is that the right way to do it?
> >
> > I've heard of some advices that I should never drain the battery to
0%
> > (or close to 0%). Is that true?
> >
> > If it is true, what I am doing is totally wrong! Should I plug in
the
> > AC power to use the laptop whenever I can access AC power?
> >

> > Should I fully recharge the battery everytime?
> >

> > I've heard that DVD can also drain battery life quickly. If I don't
> > play DVD, I don't think it it will use the battery, right?
> >
> > Is there any need for me to "disable" the DVD feature (is that even
> > possible?)
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dom

a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 10:16:35 AM

What you are doing is not good for the battery.

When the laptop is going to be on AC for a while (most of a day or
more), remove the battery completely. The evidence suggests that, more
often than not, leaving the battery in the laptop when it's on AC for a

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:

> I recently bought my very first laptop computer. It's a Toshiba A70
> (Pentium-4 3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM, etc) May I know the best practise of
> extending the battery life? What I mean is not only extending the time
> between recharge, but also more importantly, the life of the battery
> itself. I've heard of horrible stories that the battery of a laptop can
> degrade rapidly (say,15 minutes between recharge) after one year of
> use. I don't want to repeat this story.
>
> What I usually do so far is to use the battery power (i.e disconnect
> the AC cord) as much as I can even if I could access AC power. I
> usually use up all the batter power until it automatically goes to
> hibernate mode. I then recharge the battery without turning the laptop
> on. After the battery gets fully recharged, I will unplug the power
> cable and repeat the above process again.
>
> Is that the right way to do it?
>
> I've heard of some advices that I should never drain the battery to 0%
> (or close to 0%). Is that true?
>
> If it is true, what I am doing is totally wrong! Should I plug in the
> AC power to use the laptop whenever I can access AC power?
>

> Should I fully recharge the battery everytime?
>

> I've heard that DVD can also drain battery life quickly. If I don't
> play DVD, I don't think it it will use the battery, right?
>
> Is there any need for me to "disable" the DVD feature (is that even
> possible?)
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Dom

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 10:33:09 AM

Hi Dom,

Whenever I read one of these battery thread (they occur quite
often), I have to laugh. Batteries at $150 to $250 are fairly cheap.
When the battery stops lasting as long as you like just buy a new one.

I never take the battery out of my machine and I probably am on
mains 90%+ of the time. I like having the UPS factor of the battery
in place.

My laptop is my primary computer and I use it 1200hrs to 1800hrs a
day. Mollycoddling the battery would be a pain in the neck. The
laptop is a disposable tool with a finite life. I grant that I know
people who are still using their Pentium II laptops and are happy
(if not quite as productive as people using newer machines). For me
productivity is the final measurement of the usefulness of a computer.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> I recently bought my very first laptop computer. It's a Toshiba A70
> (Pentium-4 3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM, etc) May I know the best practise of
> extending the battery life? What I mean is not only extending the time
> between recharge, but also more importantly, the life of the battery
> itself. I've heard of horrible stories that the battery of a laptop can
> degrade rapidly (say,15 minutes between recharge) after one year of
> use. I don't want to repeat this story.
>
> What I usually do so far is to use the battery power (i.e disconnect
> the AC cord) as much as I can even if I could access AC power. I
> usually use up all the batter power until it automatically goes to
> hibernate mode. I then recharge the battery without turning the laptop
> on. After the battery gets fully recharged, I will unplug the power
> cable and repeat the above process again.
>
> Is that the right way to do it?
>
> I've heard of some advices that I should never drain the battery to 0%
> (or close to 0%). Is that true?
>
> If it is true, what I am doing is totally wrong! Should I plug in the
> AC power to use the laptop whenever I can access AC power?
>

> Should I fully recharge the battery everytime?
>

> I've heard that DVD can also drain battery life quickly. If I don't
> play DVD, I don't think it it will use the battery, right?
>
> Is there any need for me to "disable" the DVD feature (is that even
> possible?)
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Dom

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 9:57:13 PM

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
* Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii *

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Barry Watzman wrote:

> It makes very little difference whether or not you use the computer while
> recharging. Either way, the battery will be fully charged. The charge rate
> will be lower if you are also using the computer, in general that can be
> slightly beneficial, but charging will take longer (perhaps a lot longer).
>

> domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Thanks, Barry! It's great to see your reply before I continue my
>> mistake.
>>
>> Is the following what you mean?
>>
>> - At home/office/wherever I can access AC Power:
>> Remove the battery from the laptop. Plug in the AC cord. I can now use
>> my laptop as long as I need.
>>
>> - When I'm about to use it on-the-road:
>> Install the battery back to the laptop. Plug in the AC cord to recharge
>> the battery. Recharge it fully.
>>
>> My another question is whether it is bad for battery life if I keep
>> using the computer while recharging.
>>
>> - When I'm on-the-road (no AC access)
>> Use the battery power until it is down to 30% or so. (Right figure?)
>> Then, recharge the battery again.
>>
>> Is my understanding correct?
>>

>> Barry Watzman wrote:
>>
>>> What you are doing is not good for the battery.
>>>
>>> When the laptop is going to be on AC for a while (most of a day or
>>> more), remove the battery completely. The evidence suggests that,
>>
>> more
>>
>>> often than not, leaving the battery in the laptop when it's on AC for

>>> long time is not good for it.
>>>
>>> The battery has a limited number of charge-discharge cycles. The
>>
>> number
>>
>>> is probably in the range of 300 to 500. What you are doing now is
>>> "using these up" unnecessarily. That's one of the worst things you
>>
>> can do.
>>
>>> It's best not to take the battery below about 20%. Most battery
>>
>> mfgrs.
>>
>>> seem to recommend that if the battery is going to be stored "long
>>
>> term"
>>
>>> that it be stored at about a 60% charge. Some, however, recommend
>>> storage at "full charge" with a partial cycle (some use & recharge)
>>> every 90 days or so. It's not clear on that aspect.
>>>
>>> The DVD drive isn't a significant issue.

>> time

>> battery

>> can

>> disconnect

>> laptop

>> 0%

>> the

Somewhere I saw a neat battery for laptops that is about the same size
as the laptops, but its about 3,8th inch thick and believe it was
lithium ion which is better than nimh or nicads and it gives you
about 3 hours useage without any power system ac needed. I guess
you just stick it under the laptop itself.
Kokomo Joe
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 13, 2005 4:00:24 AM

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>>>usually use up all the batter power until it automatically goes to
>>>hibernate mode. I then recharge the battery without turning the
>
> laptop
>
>>>on. After the battery gets fully recharged, I will unplug the power
>>>cable and repeat the above process again.
>>>
>>>Is that the right way to do it?
>>>
>>>I've heard of some advices that I should never drain the battery to
>
> 0%
>
>>>(or close to 0%). Is that true?
>>>
>>>If it is true, what I am doing is totally wrong! Should I plug in
>
> the
>
>>>AC power to use the laptop whenever I can access AC power?
>>>

>>>Should I fully recharge the battery everytime?
>>>

>>>I've heard that DVD can also drain battery life quickly. If I don't
>>>play DVD, I don't think it it will use the battery, right?
>>>
>>>Is there any need for me to "disable" the DVD feature (is that even

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 13, 2005 4:38:19 AM

domtam@hotmail.com wrote:
> I recently bought my very first laptop computer. It's a Toshiba A70
> (Pentium-4 3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM, etc) May I know the best practise of
> extending the battery life?

I went to google for this very question a couple of months ago.
One of the better links was: http://www.batteryuniversity.com .

--
pa at panix dot com
!