Sign in with
Your question

What Type of Cord is this??

Last response: in Components
January 11, 2011 9:07:20 PM

I thought this cord was a DVI Female? http://vvware.com/cables/product_images/A0084_000-HDMI-...
But then when I got a Male DVI to VGA adapter, it doesnt connect, there are pins that block it from connecting. Heres the adapter I Got: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productimages/s4/24-9350.jpg It has little pins next to the flat blade part, which prevents it from connecting to the first image?

What is this?

Thanks

More about : type cord

January 11, 2011 9:52:04 PM

That VGA to DVI adapter converts VGA to DVI-I (integrated), which offers backwards compatibility for analog devices. Those four pins surrounding the flat blade are part of the DVI-I pin out. The DVI cord you have is a DVI-D (digital) cable, and is incompatible with DVI-I as it lacks the four analog pins that DVI-I has. You may just have to buy a DVI-I cable and use that instead of the DVI-D cable you bought. What are you using this adaptper/cable combination for?
January 11, 2011 10:07:20 PM

jprahman said:
That VGA to DVI adapter converts VGA to DVI-I (integrated), which offers backwards compatibility for analog devices. Those four pins surrounding the flat blade are part of the DVI-I pin out. The DVI cord you have is a DVI-D (digital) cable, and is incompatible with DVI-I as it lacks the four analog pins that DVI-I has. You may just have to buy a DVI-I cable and use that instead of the DVI-D cable you bought. What are you using this adaptper/cable combination for?

Damn it, that sucks, now I have to return this and re order. I was trying to connect my VGA monitor to my Graphics card, which has display ports on it. I have a Display port to DVI-D cord, then I was gonna use a DVI-D to VGA adapter so i coould connect the monitor, you see? or is that confusing or what
Related resources
January 11, 2011 10:41:15 PM

Hmmm, so we have a video card with Display Port connected to a Display Port to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to VGA adapter connected to a VGA cable connected to a monitor. I'm not sure if daisy chaining adapters together like that will work well. You may have to go with a Display port to VGA dongle adapter like this for your setup to work correctly. What video card and monitor setup are you using?
January 11, 2011 11:00:39 PM

jprahman said:
Hmmm, so we have a video card with Display Port connected to a Display Port to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to VGA adapter connected to a VGA cable connected to a monitor. I'm not sure if daisy chaining adapters together like that will work well. You may have to go with a Display port to VGA dongle adapter like this for your setup to work correctly. What video card and monitor setup are you using?

Im using a Sapphire 5870 eyefinity edition edition GPU, it has 6 MINI display ports, and came with a Mini display port to DVI adpater, so I bought a DVI to VGA adapter to connect to that adapter, you see? I would love to get something like the one you sent me on that link, but its way to expensive, I think ill just order a DVI-D to vga adapter its only $4....
January 12, 2011 12:18:19 AM

I've seen other display port to vga adapters similar to that one for about $25-$30, but that's still a little pricey. Hopefully that other adapter works for you and it doesn't come to that. :) 
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 12:47:38 AM

As was pointed out in a different thread, DMI is a digital only interface. You can DMI to DVI pretty easy, but DMI to VGA is hard because VGA is an analog interface. You'll need an active (read as expensive) adapter if you want to do this. There is no analog in DMI for the VGA to use. You'll need something to convert it.
January 12, 2011 12:52:02 AM

4745454b said:
As was pointed out in a different thread, DMI is a digital only interface. You can DMI to DVI pretty easy, but DMI to VGA is hard because VGA is an analog interface. You'll need an active (read as expensive) adapter if you want to do this. There is no analog in DMI for the VGA to use. You'll need something to convert it.

What is DMI, do you mean HDMI? And also, so are you saying I can not convert Mini display port from my GPU to VGA on my monitor? it wont work?

thanks
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 2:48:42 AM

Yes, I usually drop the H. I forgot you were using mini DP, but the point is the same. I don't think DP has any form of analog for your VGA to pick up, so an active adapter will be needed. It works with DVI because there is DVI A/D/I. Only if you had a straight DVI-D would it not work.
January 12, 2011 2:55:54 AM

4745454b said:
Yes, I usually drop the H. I forgot you were using mini DP, but the point is the same. I don't think DP has any form of analog for your VGA to pick up, so an active adapter will be needed. It works with DVI because there is DVI A/D/I. Only if you had a straight DVI-D would it not work.

So keeping the current DV-i Adapter i bought, but then also buying a DVI-i cord to replace the DVI-D cord would have worked?

This stuff is so confusing, I mean I get it, Its just lame that theres all these rules and models, I wonder why they sell it if you need an expensive adapter, Oh well, it will arrive in one day and I will learn my lesson if it doesnt work
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 3:01:09 AM

I'm not sure what "current DV-i Adapter" you bought. You will need an active adapter in there at some point. Something to convert the digital DP signal to analog.
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 3:11:11 AM

Odd. I wonder why they would make such a thing if it won't work. Perhaps I'm missing something. As I understand things the four pins normally found around that "blade" part of the DVI plug carry the analog info needed for a VGA signal. Why make a DVI-d to VGA adapter if it won't work? I find this part confusing. Let me know how it turns out.
January 12, 2011 3:12:25 AM

4745454b said:
Odd. I wonder why they would make such a thing if it won't work. Perhaps I'm missing something. As I understand things the four pins normally found around that "blade" part of the DVI plug carry the analog info needed for a VGA signal. Why make a DVI-d to VGA adapter if it won't work? I find this part confusing. Let me know how it turns out.

hey wait, look at the description of it! Does this mean it will work? "25pin (24+1) DVI-D male port 15pin VGA female port Color: Black High quality plated pin less signal loss For Digital signal to Analog signal only"
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 3:29:28 AM

Again, I don't see how. Your bolded statement is simply another way of saying DVI-D to VGA. Its the same thing.
January 12, 2011 3:32:08 AM

4745454b said:
Again, I don't see how. Your bolded statement is simply another way of saying DVI-D to VGA. Its the same thing.

I know, i thought that the bold part means their saying that it DOES work for DVI-D to VGA??

Sorry for all these questions, and your time....http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/frown.gif
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 3:48:19 AM

dvi to vga adapters work fine. i didnt know the extra 4 pins have to do with analog, i figured they were just a different version...but those dvi to vga adapters have always worked fine for me, ive never needed an active converter
January 12, 2011 3:52:16 AM

shovenose said:
dvi to vga adapters work fine. i didnt know the extra 4 pins have to do with analog, i figured they were just a different version...but those dvi to vga adapters have always worked fine for me, ive never needed an active converter

Are you serious? You sure? So I can connect a Mini display port to DVI-D cord to a DVI-D to VGA Adapter? and it works? This one right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ???
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 3:53:19 AM

ive never had an issue with those lil dvd to vga thingies, ive used quite a few
January 12, 2011 4:06:31 AM

shovenose said:
ive never had an issue with those lil dvd to vga thingies, ive used quite a few

So you have used an actual DVI-D to VGA adapter, that exact type? I want to be certain before ordering this again?
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 4:46:24 AM

ive only used the ones with the 4 extra pins
January 12, 2011 4:50:26 AM

shovenose said:
ive only used the ones with the 4 extra pins

oh well then that wont work, that is DVI-I, So how about this, a Mini display port TO vga cord? that should work
a c 80 ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 6:00:08 AM

Do they make such a beast? If they make that cord, then perhaps DP does have an analog signal as well. I thought it was digital only.
!