Random FPS drops?

G

Hi there everyone, i've been having a few problems with my comp lately but first here are my specs:

Motherboard: Intel Core 2Quad Q8200 @2.33ghz
Ram: 6gb DDR2
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model:m9525f
Graphics Card: Nvidia 9300GE 256mb (personal preferences on nvidia control panel set to Performance and latest drivers installed.)

Ok. So here's the problem. My PC has been suffering from frequent FPS drops even when playing CS:S on lowest settings! I've tried cs:s on my 2003 office PC with a 64MB card and it runs very smooth unlike this PC. I've done virus scans, disk clean ups, registry clean ups and there were no viruses and not much success with the increase in fps. An example of the fps drop would be when I play cs:s and i get somewhere around 60-80FPS and it suddenly with no slow down or anything drops to 15-25FPS! If anyone has a solution to this please answer! Also to all those who have a 9300GE, do you experience FPS drops?

G

Running in XP mode did nothing for me, I've re-installed the latest drivers with no prevail but when I restore to default I do see a smoother patern in the FPS but it still drops just not as frequent. Any help?