Sign in with
Your question

HP Personal Drive not accessible

Last response: in Storage
January 25, 2013 5:27:11 PM

Hello,
I attempted to access my HP personal media drive (HP HD 1200) and message says "You ned to format the drvice in drive K:
K:\ is not accessible.
It was just fine yesterday and I have done nothing. I know if I format the drive I lose all data, not good. HP offered nothing to help. Any ideas?
Thanks for all help.
a b α HP
a c 79 G Storage
January 25, 2013 11:56:36 PM

When external drives fail it is usually the small circuit board behind the USB port which fails, leaving the actual drive still in working order but not accessible. Windows thinks the drive isn't formatted and offers to format it, yet in reality it can't even be formatted either in most cases.

Try and remove the drive from the HP enclosure, detach the PCB and fit the drive into a third-party enclosure.
m
l
February 1, 2013 11:23:55 PM

phil22 said:
When external drives fail it is usually the small circuit board behind the USB port which fails, leaving the actual drive still in working order but not accessible. Windows thinks the drive isn't formatted and offers to format it, yet in reality it can't even be formatted either in most cases.

Try and remove the drive from the HP enclosure, detach the PCB and fit the drive into a third-party enclosure.

I tried many methods to get the HP Media drive to be read by windows. I eventually gave up and went on and formatted it. It worked fine after that. Of course, I lost all data on the drive. Like they say, stuff happens. Thanks for your reply.
m
l
!