joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I want to get a side fan configuration for my HAF 922 it currently only is running stock fans, stock everything except for hyper 212+ on cooling my temps are nice and cool but before I venture into overclocking I want them as low as they'll go.

CPU (i5 750) at 30 C idle about 46 C load
GPU (xfx 5850) at 40 C idle I have gotten it to like 80 C or something in Kombustor (is that bad)

so I'm thinking about this 200mm fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103072&cm_re=cooler_master_200mm_fan-_-35-103-072-_-Product ($22) w/o shipping that's kinda expensive to me so if there is a cheaper place to buy this (US) I'm all ears

Also would 2 120mm create substantially more noise?

Solution
The drop would be about 4C if you're working with Positive internal Air Pressure.....
And the 21dba isn't going to be that loud when it's on the rubber studs..... it's more dependent actually on your room size and how far are you situated from the PC while working.... mines is placed on the windowsill about 4 feet away and I really never find the sound audible at all, even in the dead of the night, with the twin H50 Fans , the top exhaust fan, the side panel 200mm intake fan and the front intake fan of my 922.

The fans I suggested are double ball bearing fans, they're twice the life of the sleeve bearing kind, and work well in both horizontal and vertical setups....

I believe having a good fan controller attached to 5 of these fans...
You could go with a slightly less expensive Xigmatek 200mm fan.

Linky

It spins faster, yet doesn't move as much air.

And yes, depending on their RPMs 120mm fans would cause more noise. If you can stand the default HAF 922 fans running at full speed, the extra noise wouldn't likely bother you.

If you've still not bought a fan for the side panel, I'd like to suggest what I did with mine, I have a HAF 932 so I got it's side panel fan off and put it onto my HAF922 although my 932 doesn't need that much cooling but I will be going in for the just released Turbine Master Mach1.2 Fan from cooler master.... it's cheaper, is a barometric ball bearing fan.....
And plus has the Oomph I might need later....
Check it out here.....
http://www.techpowerup.com/138702/Cooler-Master-Ships-120-mm-Turbine-Master-Fans.html

Though it's smaller, only 120mm but I think it's going to be great, would wait if they come out with 200mm ditto models....

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Aproximently how much would this lower my temps 2 C or more like 4 C, if going with the 120mm fan you posted, one now and one later. Also how loud is 21.1dba compared to 19dba?

Thank you alyoshka for your time

Also to leapy I don't want to go with something that is less good then what I chose unless it's significantly cheaper, 5 or more dollars and about equal performance and noise levels

The drop would be about 4C if you're working with Positive internal Air Pressure.....
And the 21dba isn't going to be that loud when it's on the rubber studs..... it's more dependent actually on your room size and how far are you situated from the PC while working.... mines is placed on the windowsill about 4 feet away and I really never find the sound audible at all, even in the dead of the night, with the twin H50 Fans , the top exhaust fan, the side panel 200mm intake fan and the front intake fan of my 922.

The fans I suggested are double ball bearing fans, they're twice the life of the sleeve bearing kind, and work well in both horizontal and vertical setups....

I believe having a good fan controller attached to 5 of these fans will get the maximum cooling and least of noise and the longest of life.....

Solution

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
^the sickelflows are cheap and look good I think I'll probably go with those, just got to make sure I got the connectors I need.

For Fan controller I heard Scythes are nice would this be decent http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998038&cm_re=fan_controller_5.25-_-11-998-038-_-Product

I would probably buy the 2 fans and then if it was too loud buy the fan controller my computer is in a large room and is about 1-2 ft away from me it is near silent right now excluding when my ODD starts turning (that thing is freakin' loud).

Thank you for your continued help, aly any idea what the pricing is on those turbines are they similar pricing to the sickelflows?

The Turbines are for 16$ so, that makes them about 5$ more expensive than the Sickle Flows...... :( but they're two and a half times the life of a sleeve bearing fan, the blades are detachable , making them easier to clean.......:)
And that's a sweet controller to go with..... just be careful about the Current requirements of the Fans that are going to be plugged into it....

joelmartinez

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I plan to buy 3 turbines (where do you get them can't find at newegg.com or frozencpu.com didn't look too hard though) 2 for the side panel and one to replace the back fan on my case. then with the extra fan (the one i replace with the turbine, i'll put on my Hyper 212+ for push/pull

I'll attach the 3 turbines to the fan controller does this sound like a good idea?

A bit more money then I wanted to spend but this upgrade should keep things cool for my next major upgrade (x68 New Mobo+CPU+RAM+GPU)