Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4850 Crashing Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 31, 2010 8:43:42 AM

I am experiencing crashing issues with my Asus HD 4850. I have uninstalled the drivers, ran Driver Sweeper and everything. Nothing seems to work... This is what happens:

I'll play battlefield BC2, or starcraft 2, and it will crash after about 10 mins of playing. What happens is the screen freezes for about 20 seconds, then goes back to normal. I've found out what is exactly happening in those 20 seconds by alt-tabbing out of the game while it freezes and I am approached by a message saying "the display driver 'amd driver' has stopped responding but has recovered". Sometimes, my computer will just straight up freeze up to the point where I have to reset it.

I doubt this is a heat issue, as I have alt-tabbed out of playing BFBC2 and looked at the GPU-Z moniter seeing 100% GPU load with a GPU temp of 79 degrees Celsius. I am told that this card will handle up to 120 C before it passes out. I am afraid to run any GPU stressing programs on it; I have read about many 4xxx's dying due to the stress tests. The card idles around 50 Celsius.

I also doubt that it is my PSU, as it is a Corsair TX650. I've owned it for about 3 years and have never had an issue with it. The specs on it definitely will support my 4850.

Lastly, the ATI Overdrive does not work at all for me. None of the settings do anything whatsoever. For instance, when I set different clocks and click "test custom clocks", the program just hangs. It happens with every setting on the program. The manual fan speed also does not work either.

I hope someone can help me out!

More about : 4850 crashing issues

a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 8:46:50 AM

Your temperatures are normal. Nothing to worry about there.

What is the latest driver you installed?
m
l
August 31, 2010 8:50:15 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Your temperatures are normal. Nothing to worry about there.

What is the latest driver you installed?

Latest drivers I am using are the 10.8 drivers; however, I have encountered this same problem with many different drivers. I have tried rolling back to 'more stable' drivers and the problem still persisted.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 8:58:14 AM

Maybe your card's defective? or maybe your case needs more cooling, however I'm inclined to believe its a faulty card with the information supplied.
August 31, 2010 9:05:39 AM

I have to agree with the faulty card statement. I bought the card 2 years ago, I've always had this same problem with the card. I had it installed in XP, Vista, and windows 7 systems; all the same problem. The card also sometimes makes high pitched whining noises during certain parts of games and such, definitely during game menus such as Crysis and Starcraft 2. This would sound like a PSU problem, but I am sure that the sound is coming from the card and not the PSU. And the card is most definitely recieving enough power from my TX650. Should this card be thrown into the dumpster?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 9:15:23 AM

OK well in this case I'm guessing the warrantys out of date, Would you mind supplying us with your location, and price range for an upgrade, and the games you play/intend to play and at what resolutions.

Thanks,
Joe
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 9:49:02 AM

decode said:
Maybe your card's defective? or maybe your case needs more cooling, however I'm inclined to believe its a faulty card with the information supplied.

Yeah that would be thing that i was gonna say! :) 
m
l
August 31, 2010 5:08:29 PM

So is there nothing else that I can test that will show that maybe it's not my card?

If not, I'm looking at getting the nVidia GTX 460. I live in America.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130564&cm_re=nvidia_gtx-_-14-130-564-_-Product
I'm planning on getting this one because I see that it has a higher core clock than the other 460's, as it is superclocked. I have also read great reviews about the card. I realize ATI has a little lower prices than nVidia to compete, but I have had problems with the past 2 ATI card that I have owned; I am done with them. Is the GTX460 a good option compared to the similarly priced 5800's? If the difference is that significant, I will consider buying another ATI card
m
l
August 31, 2010 6:41:52 PM

Ill start another thread about getting a new GPU, thanks all for the help!
m
l
August 31, 2010 6:42:17 PM

Best answer selected by cpoullas.
m
l
!