Can my computer run a nvidia geforce gtx 275?

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
My computer's model is: p6215uk
No matter where I looked nothing told my requirements for the card or anything and if you need more info just ask(I know barely anything about computers)and if my pc can't can you tell my the latest graphics card it can run?

Solution

Here is a OCZ modular 550w Fatal1ty PSU, at 64.99 before rebate, or 44.99 after rebate it is GREAT value. It will play all but the most power consuming graphics card's on a standard system(it won't play a 480 or sfaik a 5970 but everything else will)

I'm guessing your going for a 5750 ~ 5870 range card, In which case this is adequate and seeing as its made by a name brand this PSU will last.

Here is the cheapest, good power supply(500w) I could find, However it's non-modular and it looses out on 50w of power compared to the OCZ I selected, and after rebate it comes in at the exact same price.

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Thanks so is there any other graphics cards my pc could run that are better than g210?or does my computer come with the highest it can handle?p.s I don't have a new graphics card yet I am just wondering what would be a good upgrade sometime in the future.

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Thanks I'll just get a new pc in a few years.So the best graphics card it can support is a g210?

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

No, in this case his Power supply would blow up.

No your computer cannot handle a GTX 275 or any aftermarket discrete GPU sfaik, I recommend upgrading to a 500~550w Power supply and getting a good graphics card.(such as a HD 5770 or GTX 460.)

EDIT: Yes the best graphics it can support is a G210 card, which is barely better than onboard graphics in most cases.

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Hey I'm getting kind of confused looking up power supplies so I was wondering do you have a link to a good power supply?

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Man you guys know everything!so does anyone now a the cheapest 500 watt supply?

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

Here is a OCZ modular 550w Fatal1ty PSU, at 64.99 before rebate, or 44.99 after rebate it is GREAT value. It will play all but the most power consuming graphics card's on a standard system(it won't play a 480 or sfaik a 5970 but everything else will)

I'm guessing your going for a 5750 ~ 5870 range card, In which case this is adequate and seeing as its made by a name brand this PSU will last.

Here is the cheapest, good power supply(500w) I could find, However it's non-modular and it looses out on 50w of power compared to the OCZ I selected, and after rebate it comes in at the exact same price.

Solution

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Rebate?

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
May I take advantage of a manufacturer mail-in rebate through Newegg?

For your convenience, Newegg advertises current Manufacturer rebates on our website.

Manufacturer mail-in rebate offers are fulfilled by the manufacturer exclusively. The prices on our website do not include rebate savings. Use of these rebates is limited to any terms or conditions provided by the manufacturer. If you have any questions regarding a rebate's terms & conditions and/or how to redeem the rebate, please contact the manufacturer directly.

Basically you get an offer with the PSU for the manufacturer to deposit x amount into you account once you fill out a form and send it to them.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009

Incorrect, He has a 300W PSU and all the 5xxx series has a minimum of 400W power supply's as recommended(I just checked them)
and topping out at 650W for a 5970 in a single card configuration.

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Wait didn't decode say I needed the new power supply to run that?

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Note that the recommendation from ATi is a 400w PSU, now although the whole system may not use that in there setup whos to say it will in this persons. Plus the 300w wont have adequate PFC over voltage etc protection.

All manufacturers leave a little head room when recommending PSU, they dont want to get blamed for recommending a lower wattage PSU. GTX 260 is recommended with 500W PSU (minimum). Even a Corsair VX450W is able to handle a GTX260.

It all depends on the quality of the PSU. The HD5570 is a very low power consuming card (especially made for the low profile and low power users) and if the PC doesn't have much ad-ons it would do just fine. As i said these OEM PSU's are quite powerful. Especially the Dell one's.

But in the case of the OP, if he is ready to skip to a new PSU then everything is fine and dandy. Then again, also would like to know if the OP has one of those slim cabbies that HP/Dell churn out so frequently. If that's the case GTX275 may come out to be a problem.

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

slim cabbies?and even though you almost definately already know my pc is hp and the system is W7 64-bit and it isn't fine and dandy for me to get a new power supply but I am willing to do it so I can get a better graphics card than the g210 that my pc came with.

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

So whats up with my power supply because it's kind of getting confusing?

See... don't wanna confuse you further. If you are going to change your PSU then get the one decode mentioned and you can easily fit in a GTX275.
The downside is if you have a slim cabinet. You may have fitting problems. The cramped up room may cause air flow problems and cause the card to overheat. If you have a normal cabinet then i think you are fine on that aspect as well. Just check your dimensions before buying.

Otherwise if you are not willing to upgrade you PSU then a you can get a HD5570, would fit your cabinet as well, slim or fat and your PSU. But considering the type of performance it offers its not much of an upgrade. Its somewhere in between the GT220 and GT240. The GTX275 is way better. But that is an expensive deal. Consider the HD5770.

But first of all would like to know what budget you have (PSU+GPU)?

oblivionfreak2

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Well I'm looking ahead(I'll only be buying them around november)so I'm not too sure(the budget)EDIT:my tower's width is 6 1/2 inches.