Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$400 Non-gamer

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2010 8:14:59 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: A week or two

Budget Range: 400 (after rebates)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: running statistical programs, surfing the net, multitasking, music, office

Parts Not Required: keyboard/mouse, monitor, OS (I have XP Pro 32bit)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: top res on a 22" samsung LCD

Additional Comments: quieter the better, and no case lights

I'm looking to help my girlfriend build herself her first computer. As indicated above, the max price is about $400. I'm expecting the case to be the only thing usable for a future build (in a few years). I'm undecided about whether integrated video is enough for her - maybe someone can address this?

Thanks!

More about : 400 gamer

Related resources
October 18, 2010 2:20:53 AM

Any reason the case I chose isn't great? The reviews seemed decent, and the smaller size seems alright given the lack of graphics card...

Also, is 380W enough for most tasks minus gaming?

Thanks!
m
l
October 18, 2010 2:49:28 AM

ntlaxboy said:
Any reason the case I chose isn't great? The reviews seemed decent, and the smaller size seems alright given the lack of graphics card...

Also, is 380W enough for most tasks minus gaming?

Thanks!

A couple of reasons I chose the Antec 300: 1) I've seen it, worked with it and like it (I don't know the other case), 2) It's even more highly rated and 3) you said you expect it will be the only thing you use in the future and being ATX it'll allow for more options -- like an ATX motherboard with 2 PCIe slots -- if you want to turn it into a gamer.

BTW, the dimensions on the Antec 300 are only 2" taller, 2" deeper and less that 1" wider but you get a lot more flexibility.

That 380W PSU will definitely run what you have spec'd. You could even add a HD5670 GPU and still be fine. That is the PSU I have in my HTPC with that GPU.
m
l

Best solution

October 18, 2010 8:13:29 AM

$374AR - step up from Propus to Deneb ^^
October 25, 2010 1:23:28 AM

Best answer selected by ntlaxboy.
m
l
October 25, 2010 1:37:50 PM

Yep happy shopping/building and cheers ^^
m