controlling what loads on startup

So I'm new to XP and I am trying to find how to stop some programs from

In news:D4FD8DB3-7216-4B68-B680-C15022016FC9@microsoft.com,
RDT <RDT@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> So I'm new to XP and I am trying to find how to stop some
> programs
> from loading on startup. Thanks

On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show
icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If
that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on
the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of
these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
time. You can get more information about these at
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
to get rid of.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Where do I find these options? I have tried right clicking the icon on the
task bar and on the "start/programs"

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:D4FD8DB3-7216-4B68-B680-C15022016FC9@microsoft.com,
> RDT <RDT@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > So I'm new to XP and I am trying to find how to stop some
> > programs
> > from loading on startup. Thanks
>

> On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
> Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
> actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show
> icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If
> that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on
> the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
> automatically.
>
> However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
> of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
> people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of
> these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
> performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.
>
> Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
> should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
> you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
> time. You can get more information about these at
> http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
> there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.
>
> Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
> informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
> to get rid of.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Try this free program
STARTUP INSPECTOR: http://www.windowsstartup.com/

it will give you a consultative idea on what to keep and not. You always
want your anti-virus-firewall programs to run in start for sure.

"RDT" <RDT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So I'm new to XP and I am trying to find how to stop some programs from

Open the program, not just the properties of the icon.
Look for "Settings", "Options", or something similar.
Every program does it differently, contact program manufacturer for
specifics of their program if you can not locate it.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

In news:7FDE290F-1451-42D8-B4A8-5F31E3841534@microsoft.com,
RDT <RDT@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Where do I find these options? I have tried right clicking the
> icon
> on the task bar

That's where to look. If you don't find the option there, there
probably isn't one for that program.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> and on the "start/programs"
>
> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:D4FD8DB3-7216-4B68-B680-C15022016FC9@microsoft.com,
>> RDT <RDT@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> So I'm new to XP and I am trying to find how to stop some
>>> programs
>>> from loading on startup. Thanks
>>

>> On each program you don't want to start automatically, check
>> its
>> Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure
>> you
>> actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't
>> show
>> icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way.
>> If
>> that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and
>> on
>> the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
>> automatically.
>>
>> However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the
>> purpose
>> of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
>> people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many*
>> of
>> these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
>> performance severely, but others have no effect on
>> performance.
>>
>> Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
>> should do is determine what each program is, what its value is
>> you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all
>> the
>> time. You can get more information about these at
>> http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
>> there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.
>>
>> Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
>> informed decision about what you want to keep and what you
>> want
>> to get rid of.
>>

>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Download HijackThis and uncheck whatever you don't need on startup.
Michael