Is 1MB cache enough in a desktop

Tallyho

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I am planning to buy Intel Atom D510MO processor cum motherboard and as i was reading full specifications i came to know that it consists of only 1 MB cache...I wanna ask is the cache amount enough to play newly released games in the market ....
Thanks

Solution
The are 3 reasons to go with Atom. 1) He wants a very small system like itx. 2) He wants an ultra cheap system and doesn't have a lot of experience and Atoms are already ready to go. Or 3) He is overly concerned with power consumption.

The last part of my original post did state:

"However... if by newly released meaning 2009 or later, NO! It won't even load it, LOL :kaola:

But if you are going for a low power cheap gaming rig... get an older core 2 duo, AMD x2, or even dual core celeron... speedwise they'll eat the atom. :pt1cable: "

How to disagree with all I said? :kaola:

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Actually, I beg to differ. It depends on what games he wants to play. The Atom he is referring to is a dual core with hyperthreading. If the other components like the chipset happen to be nvidia or x4500 graphics, he can get away with many games that are not graphically intensive. I, myself have used to Atom 270 to play halo on medium to low setting. With 2 cores and hyperthreading... he may be able to play many less CPU intensive games... But Crysis and Left 4 Dead are a no-no... lol.

Also, 1MB cache is damn good for an Atom, most of them are half that. So for very light gaming and 1080i playback... it should be ok... just not an uber rig.

However... if by newly released meaning 2009 or later, NO! It won't even load it, LOL :kaola:

But if you are going for a low power cheap gaming rig... get an older core 2 duo, AMD x2, or even dual core celeron... speedwise they'll eat the atom. :pt1cable:

I don't disagree at all (with 1965Ohio) but if hes building a new PC for gaming (he also states new releases) then there is no reason to even consider an atom processor that can only play some games on low-medium settings when an older cheaper Athlon + a cheap GPU can play all games on medium to high.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
The are 3 reasons to go with Atom. 1) He wants a very small system like itx. 2) He wants an ultra cheap system and doesn't have a lot of experience and Atoms are already ready to go. Or 3) He is overly concerned with power consumption.

The last part of my original post did state:

"However... if by newly released meaning 2009 or later, NO! It won't even load it, LOL :kaola:

But if you are going for a low power cheap gaming rig... get an older core 2 duo, AMD x2, or even dual core celeron... speedwise they'll eat the atom. :pt1cable: "

How to disagree with all I said? :kaola:

Solution
Unless you are building a very specific use computer (say to control an instrument or maybe run a few applications you know will not need anything faster maybe a home file server), do not get an Atom. You don't know how many posts we see here about someone who bought a netbook laptop and is now asking why it won't play games or movies. If anything, just find a used Core 2 computer if you need to save money on the build.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Tallyho, exactly what games do you want to play. What kind of setup do you want? Low power? Small form factor? Or just best bang for the buck?

I say if you are interested in any games at all after 2008, you will want a discrete graphics card... and the atom systems suck for expansion. Even if you buy a board with 1 PCIe connector and plug in a killer video card, the CPU will limit your FPS in the game so much... Atom is mostly made for ultra low power servers or HTPC systems, but can play some games at the low settings.

The best deal on the market for something new, decent and cheap would be to find a LGA775 motherboard with PCIe 2.0, and get a Pentium E6500 or the like (it is basically a core 2 duo e7500 with less cache, then invest in a decent graphics card... the video card doesn't need to be over $100 to play most games... even buying something like a 9800GT for $60-90 would be killer.

Give us more input on your budget and exact uses for the system, then it will be much easier to select the right system.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
tally ho .. assuming in my city tallahassee fl as thats the nickname of the town so coolness..

but yea why are you wanting an atom in a seeming "gaming" pc, if you want a ITX build you can get itx boards with am3 or 775 itx, 1156, or even 1155 itx and run SB processors on it

if you want low cost/high value i'd reccomend going with an amd build

if its about power (and i'd understand as city of tallahassee rakes us over the coals on energy prices) i'd say get a 65w athlon II x2 and low power gpu

atoms and gaming just don't mix >_< they are good chips for what they do, small ververs sure, but gaming they jsut don't cut it

Tallyho

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I want my system to run FIFA 10 and splinter cell conviction 2...also call of duty black ops....After reading all this i have finally reached a conclusion that ATOMS CAN NEVER RUN THESE GAMES...
As was searching for the right system which must be best bang for the buck......... I think i should go with INTEL DUAL CORE E5500 2.8Ghz and also include xfx 4350 ATI PCX 1GB graphx card..........Is it f9......
WAiting

Do not get the 4350 for games, you will be as sad with it as if you got the ATOM. Get at least a 4650.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Or see if you can pick up a 9800GT/GTX somewhere... The price has went down on them dramatically and it is still a huge performer!

You won't be happy with the 4350, unless you want to play on 800/600 with mid to low settings. Get a 9800GT and you can still play new games over 30FPS easily.