Sign in with
Your question

I can't set up RAID 0 w/ SSD's

Last response: in Storage
January 26, 2013 4:55:54 AM

Hi there,
I've recently bought 2 120GB Samsung SSD 840 (not PRO). You may ask why I didn't buy the 240GB version. Well, I wanted to try RAID 0 with SSD's. Plus I heard Windows 8 supports TRIM with raid-0 arrays, so... but at the moment I'm using one for the OS and the other for games.

Here's (part of) my rig:
Asus Sabertooth 990fx
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.7GHz (FSB 216MHz - stock cooler)
Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x4GB 1600MHz CL8 (will add 8 more gigs later)
2x Samsung SSD 840 120GB

Ok, here's the problem.
I know how to set the Sata controller to RAID. Though, when I do, on boot I should press Ctrl-F to enter Sata III raid configuration utility. I do press Ctrl-F, but nothing happens. The machine goes on booting and, when it gets to Windows 7 logo screen, it crashes. Then I set it back on AHCI and everything gets back to normal. No data loss. So, here's the towering question (did I ever create the array, in the first place? - I guess not.)

What's the problem here? Thanks, everyone.

More about : set raid ssd

January 26, 2013 5:49:09 AM

After the BIOS posts press Ctrl + I to enter raid utility. Then you will need to create the new raid array. (which will wipe the drives) and then reinstall windows on your new raid 0 configuration. That would be using the native Intel Raid controller. Alternatively, your board and many others have Marvell Raid controller for ports 0 and 1. Plug SSD's into those, enable Marvel controller instead, and enter that utility to configure raid arrays by pressing Ctrl + M after post.
January 26, 2013 5:58:11 AM

reefteck said:
After the BIOS posts press Ctrl + I to enter raid utility. Then you will need to create the new raid array. (which will wipe the drives) and then reinstall windows on your new raid 0 configuration. That would be using the native Intel Raid controller. Alternatively, your board and many others have Marvell Raid controller for ports 0 and 1. Plug SSD's into those, enable Marvel controller instead, and enter that utility to configure raid arrays by pressing Ctrl + M after post.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The on-screen message prompts me to press CTRL + F. I have a AMD motherboard, so I think no Intel raid controller. I can't really remember what controller I have, but I have 6 sata III ports, which I can all put into RAID mode - do I need the SSD's to be connected to ports 0 and 1? Or doesn't it matter, so I can choose?) + 2 sata II ports.
a b G Storage
January 26, 2013 7:33:48 PM

You should have your drives connected to the brown ports. It does not matter which ones, though for consistency I usually place them in port 0 and 1, but it really shouldn't matter. Once within the Ctrl-F utility you will be able to build your RAID0 choosing the 2 drives. When it asks you for a stripe size choose 128K. You may choose others but when I setup mine, the Intel Controller suggested 128K as an appropriate stripe for RAID0. Once you've created the RAID0 set you should be able to reboot and it will be available for use.
!