CORSAIR CX 600W is it any good?

Solution
i never had any trouble with the CX series... but treat this for a basic build only not intended for extreme OC and multiple high power gpu...

If high end components then the TX will be a better option for a few more dollars...

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
i never had any trouble with the CX series... but treat this for a basic build only not intended for extreme OC and multiple high power gpu...

If high end components then the TX will be a better option for a few more dollars...

Solution
Thats a review of the 400CX, which is discontinued and totally unrelated design-wise to the new CX series. The 430CX was recently reviewed at jonnyguru and did pretty well, it is one of the newer series. They arent great units, but they are pretty good and pretty cheap, the caps they are using arent too good but its not likely to blow your system to hell.

yes I did mention that. I said I don't know much about the 650w only about the 400w model which is relatively good. Its the same series. Every series is targeted at a different market group. They release them normally in groups. The 400w and 450w model will get released together then the higher rated models the same way etc etc. If they're in a 50w within each other they normally release them together.

Actually they had the 400CX, 450VX, 550VX, 650TX etc for quite a while, a few months ago the 400CX was discontinued, there is now a new totally unrelated CX line, the only thing that is similar about it is that its cheap, but not crap. It has the 430CX, 500CX, and 600CX, they are NOT closely related to the 400CX, the 400CX was Seasonic built, the 430CX is a CWT platform. Their new units are built by different OEMs than their previous ones were, the current 650TX has a -C at the end of its model number is now made by CWT, not Seasonic, most of their line up has gone through an overhaul over the last few months with new units not being similar to the older ones.

lol now tell what pc or psu runs 30 degrees inside? Like ecos consulting with the 80 certificates at 25 degrees. Why ain't that product like all their other products rated that power at 50 degrees?

Because its not designed to be a super star of a unit, its designed to have higher wattage rating to trick people into buying it at the same price as the POS raidmax, because it isnt going to blow. They at least tell you what they rated it at, many brands dont, so how do we know it wasnt running in a freezer? They tell you far far more than they are required to, if they wanted to be deceptive you would never know it until it was too late.

Its not made to be a great unit, its designed to be an average unit thats reliable, its meant for your mother's computer when her old unit dies, not for your new rig with dual GTX 570s that you are going to OC the hell out of. Yes, this new unit is designed and marketed to trick people, its trying to trick them out of buying a slightly cheaper POS that is vastly inferior.

Why would they? They arent trying to sell this to people who read power supply reviews, they are selling this to the poor smucks who dont know they should be looking for good reviews, reviews of these units wont help their sales, certainly not to the group they want to sell them to, it would just be a waste of money to send 50 of them out for review, then they would need to increase the price a bit to account for that.

Stop thinking about this like enthusiasts actually make up a notable part of anyone's market, because they really dont, its just a delusion many people here seem to have, you really arent important to business models. Enthusiasts are really an after thought, good for PR and advertising, but there arent enough to balance the budget; home and corporate low end desktop systems are where the money is at, and how many home users going into best buy to pick up a power supply do you think have considered looking at a PSU review?

You pay ya money ya makes ya choice.

@Hunter, very well put, how many times do people walk into pc world to be told that this is the machine they need, the latest technology, internet ready, anti virus(demo) aaaaaaaaaaand a free printer with no ink.

Walk out of the shop...bargain, get home plug it in wow that guy in the shop really knew what he was talking about, course he did cause he knows nothing about the workings of a pc he's a salesman and you've just been mugged!!!

3-6 months down the line and the love affair is over, anti virus expired, Office trial expired, things popping up all over the place, its slow, it keeps freezing ya ya ya then who gets the phonecalls???? Thats right, people like us, who if they had come to see before spendin £800 in PC World would have ended up with a better machine, informative helpfull setup and continued support for half the price, but they couldn't be bothered, just wanted it quickly, well look at ya now..

Thats all really.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
No idea but I use a few Corsair 650HX PSUs (20 Nos), which is the best in its class (my example config: i7-870 + GA-P55A-UD6 + Sapphire 5850 Toxic 2 GB card). That PSU works like a charm.

or they're browsing around newegg looking to setup a custom build suddenly they come across a cyber pc that fits their budget nicely. Oh this looks good I think ill take it.........

Thats because when they advertise pre built rigs they highlight the latest cpu and loads of ram because thats what mainstrem buyers always run on about.. "Has it got enough ram?" What they fail to realise is that its sooo cheap because its sitting in a thin piece of tin with crap cooling has onboard graphics and a 350w psu than will fail within 2 years..SOLD!

Not quite true. The 500 watt Antec Basiq is a pretty good PSU.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/792

The lower powered Basiq's are a different story. But even they are better than the low powered CM's, TT's, and otherlow powered junk.

I like Corsair PSU's, and I really like the now discontinued 400CX. In fact, as soon as I heard it was being discontinued, I bought two more. Had to go to amazon. newegg was out.

I was just referring to that it is no nothing wrong for for Corsair to have a budget line of PSU's as for Antec to have Basic as their budget line. A lot of people have been giving them a stink about that. Reading the review at jonnyguru for the CX430 convinced me that it is not something to be ignored when people have low budget and are looking for a cheap unit.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Look at it this way. If someone walks into Best Buy for example, and they need a PSU, should they pick Dynex or the Corsair CX430? This is obviously a low end PSU but it is a quality unit for the money as is the entire CX line.