Sign in with
Your question

Can a power outage damage a GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 31, 2010 5:46:16 PM

When my PC was running my house randomly lost power. I'm not using a surge protector or a universal power supply. Everything seems to be working fine, could the GPU have been damaged?
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 5:53:26 PM

Anytime theres a surge in power, anything in your rig could suffer from the surge.
August 31, 2010 6:04:58 PM

If the part was damaged and I put it in a new PC could it harm the other parts?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 6:10:05 PM

Its possible, as the damaged parts could draw more power, and if they fail while doing so, again can cause an additional surge
August 31, 2010 6:10:59 PM

Anyway I can know if the GPU is safe? It was a fuse that blew by the way.
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 6:11:50 PM

Get a hardware monitor, see what your parts are drawing for power, you PSU is giving on each rail, and for your temps as well
Theres many free/good ones out there
August 31, 2010 6:22:14 PM

I installed CPUID HWMonitor, I'm not sure what any of these voltages mean though.
August 31, 2010 6:39:50 PM

I have found that damaged or faulty power supplies can often cause problems that seem like other things as well. You should check that as jaydeejohn said while you troubleshoot other items. I recommend checking it first though and checking it off your list. You just need to go down your list of hardware eliminating each as the source of your problem. Process of elimination works for lotta other things too.
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 6:45:50 PM

Each PSU has a 3.3 volt, a 5 volt and a 12 volt
Obviously, you dont want it too high or too low from those given values.
Testing it, or testing the output should be done under varying loads, such as a stressful game, where alot of your hardware is being used close to capacity, as well as at idle, and maybe a midpoint as well, maybe a less stressful game for instance.
If your voltage levels remain mostly stable, and dont dip or even possible peak high, then most likely your PSU is OK.
Then go from there, checking your cpus heat, see whats normal for it, as well as your gpus, as each component has its own operating temp/power draw
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 6:47:53 PM

As you stated above, you don't have any problems that you know of, if you go searching may not find anything and if you do, you don't know if it was a problem from before the power surge. All I can say is, fix any you find and get a surge protector.
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2010 11:24:55 PM

An outage can't damage a video card, a surge that accompanies and outage could but it's pretty unlikely, and everything wouldn't "seem to be working fine" if it had. Why are you worried about it if everything is working fine?
!