Sign in with
Your question

Help me choose a case

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2011 1:46:00 PM

I need help selecting case because basically the more I read, the more options I get :p . Right now I own an Antec 902, I like it, but there are a few issues that I find annoying so I'm considering switching:
  • You need to remove both side panel if you want to clean the front air filters.
  • You need to remove the whole HDD cage so add/remove a HDD.
  • No air intake at the bottom so if your PSU has a bottom fan, you need to mount it upside down. (this "wastes" some of the length of the PSU cables)
  • The tower isn't as long as I with it would be, my GTX 260 barely fits in the casing, a longer card wouldn't.
  • Front panel audio is a joke, the wires are unshielded and there is so much noise that it is unusable.

Other than that it's really a great case and good quality built.

Because of the space issue, I'm considering the following full-tower cases now (even if I don't need that much vertical space:
  • CollerMaster HAF X (BTW, anyone knows if CM provided any solution to connect the FP USB 3.0 to the MB header instead of plugging them through the back?)
  • Antec 1200
  • Antec DF-85
  • NZXT Phantom
  • Any other suggestions?

My main concerns are (also consider the comments on the 902 above):
  • Cooling
  • Dust (I like the Antec 902 air filters, but they are a pain to clean)
  • Noise
  • Cable management
  • Space (I miss my old Xaser III, lots of room, but not enough air flow anymore)
  • Mounting spot for a single 2.5" SSD would be nice
  • I like black painted interiors
  • FP audio is nice if not completely worthless

There is probably no perfect case, but I'd like one I can keep for 5+ year and therefore don't mind spending 150-200$ for a good one. Feel free to ask any additional questions if you think I omitted some information.
  • More about : choose case

January 12, 2011 2:00:03 PM

hmmm HAF 922 :D  ? i got it and its very easy tbh.
    m
    l
    January 12, 2011 2:00:25 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $199
    My friend has this case, I think it has good aesthetics, but but it's not painted black inside. It does have a completely tooless design which I always look for in a full size case. But no SSD size.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $199
    This one has great cooling. Great Paint. Tooless design. Painted black, and has mounting for 2.5 SSDs. Other than filters... this one is spot on a case that I would love to have. It is on my birthday wishlist.

I personally am turned off by windows and too many LEDs... I always look for tooless, future-proof and silent fans.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    January 12, 2011 6:23:33 PM

Anyone knows how big is the HAF 922? Does it have air filters?

For the Cosmos S I feel I'm paying more for aesthetics than features, but I like the fact you can add a radiator on top (not planning to use WC, but still nice to know I wouldn't need to mod the case to do so).

The Thermaltake one seems overpriced for the feature it offers, actually the "regular" Element V is 45$ cheaper...
    m
    l
    January 13, 2011 12:11:57 AM

The DF-85 does seem interesting, basically it's a cannibalized Antec 1200 with most of that I didn't like about it removed. The only "downside" is the PSU still needs to be mounted top-down, but I could live with that. Single question about the DF-85, has anyone seen the "internal" 2.5" mounting, I say the one on top, but the internal one mentioned a few times I cannot find (not mentioned in the manual either).
    m
    l
    January 13, 2011 1:10:55 AM

Zenthar said:
    Anyone knows how big is the HAF 922? Does it have air filters?

For the HAF 922:

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6606

I love the HAF 922 case, and I was asking myself the same question about filters the other day, and I found this link:

http://www.demcifilter.com/gallery.php?alb=13&open_albu...

Don't know if they're any good... they look interesting. Would love to hear if anyone has given them a go.

With the HAF X, if you can, I would recommend checking it out somewhere first. It's an excellent quality build case... but it is absolutely massive.
    m
    l
    January 13, 2011 1:12:39 AM

tecmo34 said:
    Look on page # 5... It is No. 4 on the diagram or basically behind / next to the PSU.
    Could be better, but the again, I simply taped my SSD to my old Raptor that isn't used anymore :p 
    m
    l
    a c 261 ) Power supply
    January 13, 2011 2:29:20 AM

Zenthar said:
    Could be better, but the again, I simply taped my SSD to my old Raptor that isn't used anymore :p 

LOL, I ziptied my SSD in since the bracket did not line up with the mounting screws in my 1200. Thats why I like the DF85 so much it has 2 x hot swappable SSD bays.
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    January 13, 2011 8:26:34 AM

Just can't warm to the looks, looks iike a cross between a meccano set gone wrong and a transformer.
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    January 13, 2011 11:31:09 AM

Ha looks like a tool box. [:fixitbil:4]
    m
    l
    January 13, 2011 12:13:55 PM

How does the DF-30 and DF-35 compare to the larger DF-85? I don't really need the vertical space and really don't plan on having more than 2 video cards (never had 2 actually), my only concern is the longer video cards (11.5" was the longest). Given how long cards have become, I'm surprised "longest card that can be fitted" and "length" aren't common spec for cases and video cards.
    m
    l
    January 14, 2011 10:57:31 PM

Saw both the DF-85 and LanBoy in person today.

The Lanboy is strudier than it looks, but it does look like an "unfinished" case; however it seems very well built and has lots of access latches for those who like the look.

I was a bit disappointed by the DF-85, it is well engineered and well thought-out, but the plastic latch of the drive-bays and the front fans felt way thinner than I anticipated; you could feel the plastic flex with very little pressure from your fingers.

I also saw the HAF 932 and if the HAF X is anywhere close to that, I understand why people say it's massive. If it is a sturdy as the HAF 932, I could probably stand on it without too many worries.
    m
    l
    a c 121 ) Power supply
    January 15, 2011 12:12:13 AM

That 650D looks really nice; I wonder what the price will be...
    m
    l
    a c 77 ) Power supply
    January 15, 2011 12:25:31 AM

I've seen it as a suggested retail around $160.
    m
    l
    a c 121 ) Power supply
    January 15, 2011 1:13:19 AM

Hmmm, if that's MSRP, I'll hope it shows up closer to $125; then I'll buy one!
    m
    l
    January 15, 2011 4:01:07 AM

Those cases do look very nice and they seem to have exceptional cable management.
    m
    l
    !