Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Setup

Last response: in Networking
May 8, 2010 6:47:57 PM

Right now I have a Netgear Gateway/Router combo from Comcast. I keep having problems with it and I have a few questions.

I need something that is good for heavy gaming and downloading.

If possible are there any routers that allow you open ports on two devices at the same time. Both Wii and Xbox require quite a few of the same ports to be open but you can't do that, at least on mine.

I was looking to get that D-Link Gaming Router and the Motorala Surfboard. What is the best I can get? Money is no issue.

More about : gaming setup

a c 472 4 Gaming
May 8, 2010 7:14:36 PM

You could also use a dual band router,2 networks in 1 setup !
m
l
May 13, 2010 6:47:11 PM

You can't have multiple IPs assigned to the same forwarded port. It's a logic issue, it just doesn't make sense and would be impossible to use correctly. What you can do is use Port Triggering.

Port Triggering is essentially a dynamic port forwarding. What you do is setup a "trigger" port and causes the router to forward a certain port to that client.

eg. Lets say GameX needs to connect to a server on port 12345 and you need port 23456 forwarded to you for some reason. You set the trigger port to 12345 and when ANY client connects to that port on another machine, it automatically sets up port 23456 to be forwarded to that client.

As you can only have one IP forwarded per port, you still have the issue of Wii or xBox, but it'll choose whichever one is currently being used.
m
l
!