Internet dropouts

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
ok this will be long winded but I need to explain .. so I am apologizing now.

I have been having the internet drop out for no reason. the line goes from modem, to router with 2 routers wired to it.. 1 is my vonage, and the other is a secondary wireless network. ( I have tenants)

I used to have a linksys wrt54g with dd-wrt on it, however RCN told me the problem was my router ( which i had to reboot 3-10 times a day plus I did not get my full 20mbps downloads I was supposed to)

I recently purchased a d-link gamerlounge dgl-4500. after which I found that when the internet went down, I was still able to browse my network computers and access the router with just no internet. I was then told by rcn that the problem was the modem so i went to the office and exchanged it for another one.. ( the original was atlantic scientific and the new one is a motorola surfboard sb 5105 ) however I had to power cycle the motorola 3 times while I was still on the phone with them before it would work correctly!

needless to say 3 routers and 2 modems and my internet just drops with no load on the router. have I ruled out all possibilities on my end?

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
well after talking to d-link they are saying it is a defective router and should be replaced.. ( it is a week old. ) I will exchange for the same item as I like the gigabit ethernet.. I have however decided to wire my pc with cat 6 just waiting for 100FT of cable to get here.. found some good 550mhz cable for 11 bucks. and wireless will go upstairs.. i may even run 1 cable upstairs and tell them they need to get their own router for wireless. then, I won't have to keep resetting it. as they will have theirs hardwired...

the new router is connected directly to the modem. so if the new router has no internet, then the router or modem or lines would be the problem.. am i correct?

If a computer right on the modem is always fine, and the internal network is fine, then it could be either the cable to the router, or the WAN port on the router. But you can take away the cable issue by trying the same one dirctly to the modem. It may be an issue with the modem talking to the router also (for example failing to pass it DNS settings), if this happens with the new router, see if there is a newer modem you can get.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
well this is my second router that had wireless issues and I have already exchanged modems as well..i ma having to reboot the router at least once a day at this point.. and my wireless speeds are between 2-10mbps when I should get 20 mbps dlink said there is something wrong with it because it should not slow down on the wireless and I should not have the wireless drop off like that

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
just the modem connected to a pc works fine.. oddly enough, i have had no problems with wireless or internet in almost 24 hours.. after disabling firewall and security logging. however I lost wireless on the pc, but it could not have been the router. I disabled the wireless card and then re enabled it and it worked right away

Flog89

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
So, let me get this straight.
You have one ISP.
Your ISP's cable goes to your d-link gamerlounge dgl-4500 router.
Your dgl-4500 router has cables linking to a vonage router and a motorola surfboard sb 5105 router.
Is that right?

If that's right, which router do you use as an access point? The Vonage?

I'm sorry for asking this, but I got really confused. What I need to know is your current setup and why you have it like that. 2 routers makes few sense for me if you're on a home network.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
lol np it is confusing.. cable goes from wall to motorola surfboard sb5105 >dlink dgl-4500 on which the linksys wrt54g and linksys RTP300 sit via RJ45. today I am having other issues added to the mix. router rebooted itself today, but half my web pages won't load.. including google and bing..I have tested and this does not happen on the computer connected to the wrt54g ( running dd-wrt) and it does not happen with the computer that is wired to the dgl-4500

the reason it is set up like this, is that I rent out 3 rooms on second floor and i have them connect to linksys wrt54g so I can keep them from using torrents and limit the bandwidth as to not degrade our household internet. and I can't do that on the dgl-4500