I can print 13x19 but I can't find frames for my pics

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 9, 2005 12:56:24 AM

I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
out on my canon i9900.

The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50

If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
getting frames for them?
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:17:40 AM

"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
> out on my canon i9900.
>
> The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>
> If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
> getting frames for them?

They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.

11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.

13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.
--
"No man can climb out beyond the limitations
of his own character." Viscount John Morley

william kossack wrote:
> I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
> out on my canon i9900.
>
> The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>
> If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
> getting frames for them?

13x19 is not a commonly available frame size. 11x14 is commonly
available almost everywhere in the US.....And Cheap too.
Most Art supply stores sell frame kits where you select any size you
want (in pairs) for the top and bottom and the two sides.
I haven't priced them lately but I'd guess that you could pick up a kit
for ~ $30.
Also, have you considered the frameless mounts. (Clips hold the picture
behind a piece of glass or clear plastic, cut to the exact same size as
the picture). They are quite inexpensive and look pretty nice for the
right type of subject.
Bob Williams
Related resources
January 9, 2005 9:46:44 AM

I use the chanel (assemblable) frames these people sell.
http://www.documounts.com/
For a 13x19 I tend to make a 20x30 frame.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
> out on my canon i9900.
>
> The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>
> If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
> getting frames for them?
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:49:23 AM

Bob Hatch wrote:
>...13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

But that paper size is good for printing 12x18.

---Bob Gross---
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:22:50 AM

In article <9-qdnTa-CLH5JH3cRVn-rA@comcast.com>, wskossack@comcast.net
says...
> I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
> out on my canon i9900.
>
> The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>
> If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
> getting frames for them?

http://americanframe.com has a nice web site and you can order online while
viewing a preview. They do not charge extra for custom sizes. You
can buy metal frame sections or wooden assembled frames as well as
mats, backing material and even plexiglass, all cut to size.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

Instead of printing the full 13x19, for 3:4 I print 12x16 and for 3:2
12x18 ... In the US I did not find Michaels to have a good selection
of premade frames, but Aaron Brothers has an excellent selection (but
they are a bit limited on their store locations):
http://www.aaronbrothers.com/app/locator
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:31:52 PM

>> I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
>> out on my canon i9900.
>>
>> The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>>
>> If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
>> getting frames for them?
>
>They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
>
>11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.

A good choice for "Custom" framing is metal framing. If you visit your local
Michaels art supply or the like you will find they sell metal frames in paired
sets of most sizes in one inch increments upto about 36" Then all you need is
a piece of plexi or glass and you are set!

Another option is to goto your local frame store and get the glass and metal
framing pre-cut but not put together... I have a local framer that gets me this
stuff rather cheap!

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:40:06 PM

Bob Hatch responds:
>"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
>> out on my canon i9900.
>>
>> The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>>
>> If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
>> getting frames for them?
>
>They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
>
>11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
>
>13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

True enough, but there's no reason not to use it, and build one's own frames.
Collect some matting tools, gather two mitering tools, and pick up pre-formed
molding either from a frame supplier or from the local lumberyard and have at
it. It's a lot of fun.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:56:38 PM

william kossack <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote:

>I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
>out on my canon i9900.
>
>The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>
>If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
>getting frames for them?

Some observations:
1) $50.00 is not at all unreasonable for a frame that size. For a custom
frame it's very cheap (I typically find I need to spend over $100.00 for
custom frames that size).
2) Photos will look much better when matted and this gives you the
opportunity to choose a matte size that *does* fit a frame that size is
readily available to you.
3) In many places you can buy frames in section pairs and assemble them
yourself. In your example you'd buy two 13-inch sections and two 19-inch
sections. Get a 13x19 piece of glass cut at a hardware store and you're
set.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:17:40 -0700
In message <34bt3sF4adkogU1@individual.net>
"Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote:

> > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics
> > I printed out on my canon i9900.

(snip)

> They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
>
> 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
>
> 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

Heck with frames...why is the ever popular 35mm 3:2 ratio
missing from the list of standard size large prints?

Or, looking at it the other way around, why are the
(d)SLR's today using 3:2 instead of 5:4 ??????????

Then there is 4:3...

Jeff
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:28:27 PM

"Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote in message
> "william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
> > out on my canon i9900.
> >
> > The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
> >
> > If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
> > getting frames for them?
>
> They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
>
> 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
>
> 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.

13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain third-world
countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
January 9, 2005 5:28:28 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message

> "Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote in message
> > "william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
> > > out on my canon i9900.
> > >
> > > The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
> > >
> > > If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
> > > getting frames for them?
> >
> > They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
> >
> > 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
> >
> > 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.
>
> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
third-world
> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.

13x19" with a nice matte will work well in a 20x24" frame..
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:28:28 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message

> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
> third-world
> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

One could say that the first world hasn't switched, since the second and
third world have gone over pretty comprehensively... ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote in message
>
>>"william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
>>>out on my canon i9900.
>>>
>>>The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>>>
>>>If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
>>>getting frames for them?
>>
>>They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
>>
>>11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
>>
>>13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.
>

> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain third-world
> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Third world countries? Grin.

Of course, one could just buy the frames on a piece by piece plan. Many
craft stores will sell the frame pieces in just about any size cut you
want, inch by inch (or centimeter by centimeter). Or, one could make
his own with a simple miter box and some glue and fasteners.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:28:28 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message

> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
> third-world
> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.

Hey! What are you getting at? As far as I know, third-world countries are
usually in debt, have ruthless governnemts run by religious zealots who make
war on other countries...

Never mind.

> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:28:29 PM

"Darrell" <no@spam.here> wrote in message

> "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote in message
>> > "william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> > They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
>> >
>> > 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
>> >
>> > 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.
>>
>> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
> third-world
>> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
>>
> 13x19" with a nice matte will work well in a 20x24" frame..

I usually use a 24x30, it gives the same width all around.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:28:30 PM

> "Darrell" <no@spam.here> wrote in message
> >
> > "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote in message

> >> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
> > third-world
> >> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
> >>
> > 13x19" with a nice matte will work well in a 20x24" frame..
> >

> I usually use a 24x30, it gives the same width all around.

Where are you finding decent frames in this area, Skip??
I've been having a horrible time of it.
Even more problematic...where to find custom frames for less than a mint!
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:28:31 PM

http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
news:p q4Ed.79362$QR1.21925@fed1read04...

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "Darrell" <no@spam.here> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message

> printed

>> > third-world
>> >>
>> > 13x19" with a nice matte will work well in a 20x24" frame..
>> >

>> I usually use a 24x30, it gives the same width all around.
>
> Where are you finding decent frames in this area, Skip??
> I've been having a horrible time of it.
> Even more problematic...where to find custom frames for less than a mint!

Aaron Brothers, in fact, they have a 1 cent sale going on, buy one, get
another for 1 cent. All the frames we use for exhibition come from there.
As far as custom framing, sheesh, everybody is expensive. I've had one done
at Sumner & Dene down on University, somewhere between Park and 30th, and
another done at The Archives here in Escondido. But both were rather
pricey. Good work, but...

--
Skip Middleton
Anonymous

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:28:38 -0800, Bob Williams <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote:

>Also, have you considered the frameless mounts. (Clips hold the picture
>behind a piece of glass or clear plastic, cut to the exact same size as
>the picture). They are quite inexpensive and look pretty nice for the
>right type of subject.

Or you can get the glass cut a few inches bigger and place some coloured card
behind the picture to make a border.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 8:46:49 PM

I cut my own mats, so I mat the 13 X 19 and put it in a 16 x 20 frame.
January 10, 2005 12:31:27 AM

"Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote in message
> "william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
> > out on my canon i9900.
> >
> > The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
> >
> > If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
> > getting frames for them?
>
> They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
>
> 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
>
> 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.
> --
> "No man can climb out beyond the limitations
> of his own character." Viscount John Morley
> http://www.bobhatch.com

OR, you can mount and mat them to a standard size,
OR, you can buy modular frames like Nielson & Bainbridge
and make whatever size you wish.
January 10, 2005 12:45:05 AM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:17:40 -0700
> In message <34bt3sF4adkogU1@individual.net>
> "Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote:
>
> > > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics
> > > I printed out on my canon i9900.
>
> (snip)
>
> > They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
> >
> > 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
> >
> > 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.
>
> Heck with frames...why is the ever popular 35mm 3:2 ratio
> missing from the list of standard size large prints?
>
> Or, looking at it the other way around, why are the
> (d)SLR's today using 3:2 instead of 5:4 ??????????
>
> Then there is 4:3...
>
> Jeff

There's some truth with your "heck with frames" statement.
How about having it mounted on foamboard (Bienfang) and
putting a spacer behind it so that it is "floating" away from the
wall?

George
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 12:49:46 AM

Here in Oz, I find a good source of all sorts of frames to be the
liquidation/disposal chains, like Cheap as Chips, Cunningham's, Supa
Cheap, Bargains Galore, Crazy Dave's (or insert other crazy person
name), ad infinitum. They range from overpriced and bloody awful
quality to excellent and stupidly cheap, so you need to watch what you
are buying. But often they toss out awful prints in very good frames
at low prices...
January 10, 2005 2:44:17 AM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:06:13 -0800
In message <CgfEd.79391$QR1.75915@fed1read04>
"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> Anyway... If anyone reading here has any suggestions for
> custom wooden frames, I'd be all ears. :)

Why not make one up in photoshop and stamp a 1"
frame on the print, and have the print mounted.

99 out of 100 viewers won't know the diff...

Jeff
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:44:18 AM

> On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:06:13 -0800
> In message <CgfEd.79391$QR1.75915@fed1read04>
> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> > Anyway... If anyone reading here has any suggestions for
> > custom wooden frames, I'd be all ears. :)
>
> Why not make one up in photoshop and stamp a 1"
> frame on the print, and have the print mounted.
>
> 99 out of 100 viewers won't know the diff...

You mean "print" the "frame" onto the photo paper???

People can't tell the difference between a 3-dimensional wooden frame...and
a picture of a frame printed onto photo paper???

You must be surrounded by one-eyed folks with no depth perception!
:)
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:08:30 AM

<< 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size. >>

Yes, and neither is 12"x18" standard. I had two framed and matted at Michael's
in Bend, Oregon, for around $200 and change.

Best,

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon
January 10, 2005 3:08:31 AM

"Conrad Weiler" <weil91@aol.com> wrote in message
> << 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size. >>
>
> Yes, and neither is 12"x18" standard. I had two framed and matted at
Michael's
> in Bend, Oregon, for around $200 and change.
>
> Best,
>
> Conrad
>

> Conrad Weiler
> Camp Sherman, Oregon

For that price I hope you at least got OP-3 and not standard glass or
Plexiglas.

George
January 10, 2005 3:31:35 AM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:56:08 -0800
In message <pwjEd.79448$QR1.5307@fed1read04>
"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> > > Anyway... If anyone reading here has any suggestions for
> > > custom wooden frames, I'd be all ears. :)
> >
> > Why not make one up in photoshop and stamp a 1"
> > frame on the print, and have the print mounted.
> >
> > 99 out of 100 viewers won't know the diff...
>
> You mean "print" the "frame" onto the photo paper???

Yup...

> People can't tell the difference between a
> 3-dimensional wooden frame...and a picture
> of a frame printed onto photo paper???

Some can't. Many won't notice because they
won't get close enough to see the difference.

The remaining 1% will be divided between people
with a sense of humor, and people without.

> You must be surrounded by one-eyed folks with no depth perception!
> :)

If the PHOTOGRAPH is good, it should look 3-dimentional, no?

Okay, I'll relax my opinion and give folks the
benefit of the doubt... 10% might notice it...

That leaves more wiggle room for people without
a sense of humor. ;^)

If you render a 40" x 60" frame and mat for a
20" x 30" print it would qualify as ART...heh.

Jeff
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 9:44:58 AM

chrlz@go.com wrote:
> Here in Oz, I find a good source of all sorts of frames to be the
> liquidation/disposal chains, like Cheap as Chips, Cunningham's, Supa
> Cheap, Bargains Galore, Crazy Dave's (or insert other crazy person
> name), ad infinitum. They range from overpriced and bloody awful
> quality to excellent and stupidly cheap, so you need to watch what you
> are buying. But often they toss out awful prints in very good frames
> at low prices...

Hi...

Another thing to keep an eye out for is a framed mirror...

Might find one cheaper than you'd buy the frame alone for.
Even more so if you happen across one with a defect in
the mirror itself, like a chip or crack or bit of silver
loose.

Just a thought...

Ken
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:49:37 PM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:04:21 -0500, "TAFKAB" <TheArtist@FormerlyKnownAs.Bowser>
wrote:

>> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
>> third-world
>> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
>
>Hey! What are you getting at? As far as I know, third-world countries are
>usually in debt, have ruthless governnemts run by religious zealots who make
>war on other countries...

Not sure about the making war thing, they can't really afford it...

BTW, picture framing is really cheap out here, 10x8 comes in at around $5. :-)

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:32:42 PM

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:56:24 -0700, william kossack
<wskossack@comcast.net> wrote:

>I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
>out on my canon i9900.
>
>The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>
>If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
>getting frames for them?
I usually put 13 x 19 prints into an 18 x 24 frame, which is readily
available at frame shops. This provides for a 2 1/2" mat. If you use a
larger frame and a mat, it will look better if the mat is of uniform
width on all 4 sides.

For materials -- frame, glass, mat, foam core for mounting -- and
labor -- $50 doesn't sound too bad. If you are fairly handy, you can
buy materials and do it yourself, but you do need a bit of equipment.

Cheers,

Leonard
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:32:43 PM

do you cut your own mat?

Leonard Lehew wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 21:56:24 -0700, william kossack
> <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
>>out on my canon i9900.
>>
>>The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
>>
>>If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
>>getting frames for them?
>
> I usually put 13 x 19 prints into an 18 x 24 frame, which is readily
> available at frame shops. This provides for a 2 1/2" mat. If you use a
> larger frame and a mat, it will look better if the mat is of uniform
> width on all 4 sides.
>
> For materials -- frame, glass, mat, foam core for mounting -- and
> labor -- $50 doesn't sound too bad. If you are fairly handy, you can
> buy materials and do it yourself, but you do need a bit of equipment.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Leonard
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 5:08:53 PM

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:27:23 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
wrote:

>"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
>>

>> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
>> third-world
>> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
>>
>> David J. Littleboy
>> Tokyo, Japan
>>

>One could say that the first world hasn't switched, since the second and
>third world have gone over pretty comprehensively... ;-)

Hold on everyone. Since when is 13x19 *inches* a metric measurement?

INCHES = IMPERIAL. METRES = METRIC.

....but the U.S. and photographers in general remain confused.

--
Owamanga!
January 10, 2005 6:28:29 PM

I use 12"x16" frames. They are a "standard" size from what I can tell. I
usually wait for 1/2 price sales at Joann's or Hobby Lobby etc. cost around
$10 when on sale. If someone wants something fancier, I'll let them go buy
the frame at one of the rip-off frame shops. Yes I said rip-off, I can't
believe what custom framers charge!

"Bob Hatch" <bobhatch@go.com> wrote in message
> "william kossack" <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I spent part of my day looking for frames for a couple pics I printed
> > out on my canon i9900.
> >
> > The best I could do was custom frames that would cost $50
> >
> > If so many people are buying large format printers, where are they
> > getting frames for them?
>
> They are using the printers to print standard size large prints.
>
> 11x14, 16x20, 20x24, 24x30, etc.
>
> 13x19 is not and has never been a "standard" size.
> --
> "No man can climb out beyond the limitations
> of his own character." Viscount John Morley
> http://www.bobhatch.com

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:31:03 PM

In article <6435u0t5skem56ih4plll5mh1to1mnp79g@4ax.com>,
Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:27:23 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
>wrote:
>
>>"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> 13x19 has always been a standard size everywhere except certain
>>> third-world
>>> countries that haven't gotten around to switching to metric yet.
>>>
>>> David J. Littleboy
>>> Tokyo, Japan
>>>

>>One could say that the first world hasn't switched, since the second and
>>third world have gone over pretty comprehensively... ;-)
>
>Hold on everyone. Since when is 13x19 *inches* a metric measurement?
>
>INCHES = IMPERIAL. METRES = METRIC.

13*19 is also known as Super A3.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:42:16 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:31:03 GMT, Chris Brown
<cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:

>In article <6435u0t5skem56ih4plll5mh1to1mnp79g@4ax.com>,
>Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:27:23 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message

>>>One could say that the first world hasn't switched, since the second and
>>>third world have gone over pretty comprehensively... ;-)
>>
>>Hold on everyone. Since when is 13x19 *inches* a metric measurement?
>>
>>INCHES = IMPERIAL. METRES = METRIC.
>
>13*19 is also known as Super A3.

Not on my planet. Super A3 is 320mm x 450mm, which would make it
12.5984 inches by 17.7165 inches.

13x19 is Super B, an imperial measurement.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

Capt Nud wrote:

> I cut my own mats, so I mat the 13 X 19 and put it in a 16 x 20
> frame.

Quadro Frames doesn't offer 13x19 frames specifically, but they do
have many other sizes of borderless clip frames that are inexpensive
especially when bought in bulk. You can get the next size up and cut
a mat like Capt. Nud or use something like Photoshop to set a "Canvas
Size" larger than your image and with the dimensions of, say, 16x20,
and fill it with whatever color you want as a "mat".

I mention these folks because they're the cheapest place for 8x10 clip
frames that I've found online so far.

http://www.quadroframes.com/Products/Order_Form.htm
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:12:20 PM

"Greg Evans" <misterx@larkbooks.com> wrote in message
> Capt Nud wrote:
>
> > I cut my own mats, so I mat the 13 X 19 and put it in a 16 x 20
> > frame.
>
> Quadro Frames doesn't offer 13x19 frames specifically, but they do
> have many other sizes of borderless clip frames that are inexpensive
> especially when bought in bulk. You can get the next size up and cut
> a mat like Capt. Nud or use something like Photoshop to set a "Canvas
> Size" larger than your image and with the dimensions of, say, 16x20,
> and fill it with whatever color you want as a "mat".
>
> I mention these folks because they're the cheapest place for 8x10 clip
> frames that I've found online so far.
>
> http://www.quadroframes.com/Products/Order_Form.htm

Wow!
They really ARE cheap!
January 10, 2005 7:28:13 PM

"Don" <d@d.com> wrote in message
> I use 12"x16" frames. They are a "standard" size from what I can tell. I
> usually wait for 1/2 price sales at Joann's or Hobby Lobby etc. cost
around
> $10 when on sale. If someone wants something fancier, I'll let them go buy
> the frame at one of the rip-off frame shops. Yes I said rip-off, I can't
> believe what custom framers charge!

So what would be a fair price for a custom frame?
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 8:00:38 PM

"Christopher Pollard" <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message

> Not sure about the making war thing, they can't really afford it...

We (US) can't. We're nearly $9 Trillion in debt, but that won't stop us.

> BTW, picture framing is really cheap out here, 10x8 comes in at around $5.
> :-)

Man, how many of those could you buy for nine trillion?

> --
> Chris Pollard
>

> CG Internet café, Tagum City, Philippines
> http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:24:41 PM

OK guys

On the package of Canon Photo paper plus it says
A3+ /13"x19" with a drawing showing the regular A3 fitting inside the
13"x19"

Owamanga wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:31:03 GMT, Chris Brown
> <cpbrown@ntlworld.no_uce_please.com> wrote:
>

>>In article <6435u0t5skem56ih4plll5mh1to1mnp79g@4ax.com>,
>>Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>Hold on everyone. Since when is 13x19 *inches* a metric measurement?
>>>
>>>INCHES = IMPERIAL. METRES = METRIC.
>>
>>13*19 is also known as Super A3.
>

> Not on my planet. Super A3 is 320mm x 450mm, which would make it
> 12.5984 inches by 17.7165 inches.
>
> 13x19 is Super B, an imperial measurement.
>
> --
> Owamanga!
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:37:59 PM

http://www.pfile.com has 13x19 black frames for $13.95

A solid black wood picture frame with a rounded profile and clear glass
front for displaying 13 x 19 digital prints and images. Includes hanger
for vertical or horizontal wall display.

http://www.frameplace.com/
has them also for $17.95 but I think without glass

anyone have experience with with of these places?

Mark² wrote:
> "Greg Evans" <misterx@larkbooks.com> wrote in message
>
>>Capt Nud wrote:
>>

>>>I cut my own mats, so I mat the 13 X 19 and put it in a 16 x 20
>>>frame.
>>
>>Quadro Frames doesn't offer 13x19 frames specifically, but they do
>>have many other sizes of borderless clip frames that are inexpensive
>>especially when bought in bulk. You can get the next size up and cut
>>a mat like Capt. Nud or use something like Photoshop to set a "Canvas
>>Size" larger than your image and with the dimensions of, say, 16x20,
>>and fill it with whatever color you want as a "mat".
>>
>>I mention these folks because they're the cheapest place for 8x10 clip
>>frames that I've found online so far.
>>
>>http://www.quadroframes.com/Products/Order_Form.htm
>

> Wow!
> They really ARE cheap!

January 11, 2005 2:35:51 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:08:53 GMT
In message <6435u0t5skem56ih4plll5mh1to1mnp79g@4ax.com>
Posted from EasyNews, UseNet made Easy!
Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> INCHES = IMPERIAL. METRES = METRIC.

Uh, INCHES are INCHES... 12 per foot... heh

(Is there really one inch in an imperial,
and one meter in a metric? I didn't know that...)

> ...but the U.S. and photographers in general remain confused.

No, wait, I am NOT confused... I think...

Jeff
January 11, 2005 2:37:31 AM

Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >>Hold on everyone. Since when is 13x19 *inches* a metric measurement?
> >>
> >>INCHES = IMPERIAL. METRES = METRIC.
> >
> >13*19 is also known as Super A3.
>
> Not on my planet. Super A3 is 320mm x 450mm, which would make it
> 12.5984 inches by 17.7165 inches.
>
> 13x19 is Super B, an imperial measurement.

We'll by A3 on our planet, you buy it on yours. No problem. ;-)

Jeff
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:06:44 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:35:51 GMT, Confused
<somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:08:53 GMT
>In message <6435u0t5skem56ih4plll5mh1to1mnp79g@4ax.com>
>Posted from EasyNews, UseNet made Easy!
>Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> INCHES = IMPERIAL. METRES = METRIC.
>
>Uh, INCHES are INCHES... 12 per foot... heh
>
>(Is there really one inch in an imperial,
> and one meter in a metric? I didn't know that...)

Okay, okay. Wrong symbol.

The twelve inches were in the King of England's foot (I forget which,
probably Henry VIII), thus the 'Imperial' name.

--
Owamanga!
January 11, 2005 10:09:45 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:24:41 -0700
In message <s42dncRCsfxA237cRVn-uw@comcast.com>
Posted from
william kossack <wskossack@comcast.net> wrote:

> OK guys
>
> On the package of Canon Photo paper plus it says
> A3+ /13"x19" with a drawing showing the regular
> A3 fitting inside the 13"x19"

Sigh... neither have a 2:3 size ratio... :(

For some dumb personal artistic reason, I want ALL my [print worthy]
photos mounted, edge to edge, without ANY straightening or cropping.

Jeff
January 11, 2005 10:17:08 AM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:06:44 GMT
In message <u666u0li4rre412vit1q5aq7fjv7qkcrq9@4ax.com>
Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:35:51 GMT, Confused
> <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>

Insert a big smiley somewhere in my previous message. :)

Jeff
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:04:36 PM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:01:30 -0700, william kossack
<wskossack@comcast.net> wrote:

>do you cut your own mat?

Yes. I usually buy frames and pre-cut glass from a frame shop. I mount
the photos on foam core board and cut a mat.

Leonard
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:51:02 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:04:36 GMT, Leonard Lehew
<leonard-lehew@nc.EXTRASTUFF.rr.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:01:30 -0700, william kossack
><wskossack@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>do you cut your own mat?
>
>Yes. I usually buy frames and pre-cut glass from a frame shop. I mount
>the photos on foam core board and cut a mat.

Still using glass then.

The last stuff I got framed, I was talked into using some UV-proof
plastic, supposedly to reduce fading. It's lighter and cheaper than
glass (and I guess at home, you could cut it yourself without many
problems) but isn't completely flat - on smaller frames it's okay but
on a big one (48"x38") it looks stupid with large ripple reflections.

I guess it was me that got framed that time.

--
Owamanga!
!