Sign in with
Your question

How to make an external HDD externally powered

Last response: in Storage
January 26, 2013 1:02:35 PM

Hi guys, I have an external HDD which i use to store movies, photos,etc. To use this hdd, all i do is plug it into my laptop via usb cable. Now, my question is: can i make this external hdd to be externally powered (i.e. it has be connected to electricity to work)? Thanks
a c 81 G Storage
January 26, 2013 2:02:46 PM

Some usb hubs have there own power supply.
a b G Storage
January 26, 2013 3:07:20 PM

Laban_18 said:
Hi guys, I have an external HDD which i use to store movies, photos,etc. To use this hdd, all i do is plug it into my laptop via usb cable. Now, my question is: can i make this external hdd to be externally powered (i.e. it has be connected to electricity to work)? Thanks

There are tons of USB/AC adpaters out there. Target sells a simple single plug one for less than $10 for instance.
http://www.target.com/p/nook-simple-touch-adapter/-/A-1...
Just look for one that meets the power requirements of your hard drive, though just about any of them should work fine. Apple makes them, most new smart phones come with USB/AC adapters, and so on.
Related resources
January 26, 2013 9:02:28 PM

OK, thank you. I'll check it out.
January 26, 2013 9:22:07 PM

Wait... If i get a USB/AC adapter, there would be no way to connect my external hdd to my laptop, seeing that my external hdd has only 1 USB port?
a b G Storage
January 26, 2013 10:31:12 PM

Laban_18 said:
Wait... If i get a USB/AC adapter, there would be no way to connect my external hdd to my laptop, seeing that my external hdd has only 1 USB port?

Yeah, okay, I see where you are going. But whatever you plug the drive into will power it, if you are not plugged into anything to use it, then you don't need to have it powered on, right?
January 27, 2013 9:38:39 AM

OK. Here's the deal. I play PS2 games of my external HDD and they lag, so I did a google search and found out that it could lag cause its the ps2 that's powering the external HDD. So that why I wanna make it externally powered.
a c 81 G Storage
January 27, 2013 10:05:23 AM

And that's why i recommended an usb hub with it's own power supply.
January 27, 2013 12:36:41 PM

Thank you, I'll get it.
!