Am I going Overkill?

Buddhaman42

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Please let me know if this setup is overkill and what you think. I think my previous post was too long for people to actually read, so I'll be brief. I want to be able to game (anything and everything perhaps 3D games in the near future)..and not have to buy a new computer in 2 years (hopefully much longer and just upgrade parts). P.S....this will be my first build.

Cooler Master Haf 922
Windows 7
Intel i7-950
G.Skill 6gb(3X2) DDR31600
Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R
Gigabyte Super Overclock Series GTX 470
Sparkle Computer Corp Gold Class 1250W PSU
OCZ Vertex 2 120gb
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
LG Black 10x Blu-ray burner
Noctua NH-D14

Total Price (incuding shipping) from Newegg: $1869

Solution
Your built is nice. I just wanna add my vote for better brands PSU.
I would recommend you to get a 750W-850W PSU from Seasonic, Silverstone, Tagan, Antec, Enermax, PPC or Corsair.
650W should be enough but you might wanna leave some free room for the second GTX470.

Buddhaman42

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Ah, thanks for that guys. I apologize I did not see that build advice form, I will fill it out at bottom of this post. There are a couple reasons I am going for that big of a PSU mainly because it is $100 off in a combo deal on newegg which means I get it for $200, but also because I would like to be able to run SLI and overclock in the future. I also know it is not a well known company, but I have read a lot of reviews online and the general consensus is........it is a fine piece of machinery. Will it be TOO strong for my build? I.E. damage the other parts in any way?

Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of the week definitely, hopefully next 48 hours.

Budget Range: around $2000 after combo deals for the main parts...+/- 200-300 for extras such as gaming keyboard, mouse, and speakers

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/3D capability/Internet/Movies

Parts Not Required: Monitor. I have Keyboard, mouse, and speakers, but looking to upgrade all 3.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Open to anything....although I am definitely leaning towards Intel, and I do like Gigabyte.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Soon...Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920X1200

Additional Comments: Thanks for the input.

Your built is nice. I just wanna add my vote for better brands PSU.
I would recommend you to get a 750W-850W PSU from Seasonic, Silverstone, Tagan, Antec, Enermax, PPC or Corsair.
650W should be enough but you might wanna leave some free room for the second GTX470.

Solution
Just 1 more post that says it all looks good, but dump the PSU. You don't need one anywhere that powerful, and you CERTAINLY don't want the Sparkle brand.
Buy a good name brand as suggested several times already, and that is all you need, even if you SLI and overclock.
Nuff said?