1155 Socket for Tri-Crossfire

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hello

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but i prefer asking myself just so I get fully insured :)

I'm currently upgrading my motherboard (which is a 1155 socket)
My system specs:
CPU: I5 2500k
GPU: Sapphire Radeon Toxic 2gb (x2), Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 1gb (This is the only GPU im currently using)
Case: NZXT Phantom
PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold st1200 1200w
HDD: western digital 1tb, Intel 320 120gb SSD
DVD: Blu ray/ DVD burner
Ram: Kingston HyperX 8gb (adding another 8gb in the near future)
Mobo: Gigabyte p67-ud3r-b3

I want to upgrade my Motherboard to a Z series board.
I'm currently looking at the Asus Z68 Deluxe and the Asus Maximus Extreme-Z
I want something that is 'future proof', something with useful features, something with good overclocking potential, has lots of USB 3.0 ports, the size and capability to run Tri Xfire (however i may sell my HD 6950 1gb). Budget is important but i don't mind putting more money towards it.
I also want to be able to add a sound card in the future so lots of PCI-E ports would be nice.
And of course anything else that would be useful.

This has been bugging me for a LONG time, and a lot of people have been saying "go for the z68-v pro", but i would like to see a little bit more variety and a good conclusion to this decision. I heard that Asrock is good, but i dont have much info on them. Im not a big fan of gigabyte. And although the Maximus Z is super overpriced and can be considered overkill, i honestly dont mind buying it (PLUS THE COLOR SCHEME IS AMAZING)

OH OH Oh and i want to get something that will secure the use of Ivy Bridge next year. I heard Z series boards are good.

So overall, lots of features, Lots of USB 3.0, Multi GPU (possibly Tri Xfire 6950) and great overclocking AND MORE :)

Thank you :)

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
your toxic video cards dont have a gpu number, say 4850, 6970 or such.
i think now isn't the time to buy a motherboard for ivy bridge if you want to future proof. unless you only want a dual crossfire/sli setup. Ivy bridge brings support for pci-e 3.0 and right now the only boards that support pci-e 3.0 have only 2 of the 16x slots. your system is plenty good to get through the year. if you wait prices will come down new products will come out and you will be in a better position to get a setup for ivy bridge.
and if intel decided to change the socket last minute to something that's not compatible it wouldn't be the first time the did so.

manshiny

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Oh haha

My Toxics are 6950's.

Your answer has really made me think and you right, its probably a good idea to wait it out.
My components will still be compatible even with a socket change correct?