New Budget yet effective gaming PC

G

Atm i am running a utter crap E2160 ect ect ect

i want to upgrade to a new system after Christmas and im wondering if this will do

phenom II x4 955 - £107
motherboard- gigabyte 770tu-d3 - £55
memory- corsair xms3 - £65
hard drive- sam f3 500gb - £33
graphics- 8800gtx or a ati 4850 (ebay) - £50
case- antec 300 (+1x120mm fan) - £55
power- cm silent pro 600 - £70
cooler- arctic freezer 7 - £16

= £451

running a 17" monitor atm but would like a decent graphics card to play 1080 resolution

Gonna salvage my old DVD disk drive as well as there easy to install at a later date :)

Also up for discussion is the new GPU as i would like to know any decent cards you can get for mabye around 65 quid on Ebay

Thanks in advance :bounce:

cmcghee358

Distinguished
The 4850 is a very nice card.

The Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2 is utter and complete crap. If your 955 you intend to buy comes with a stock HSF, stick with it, it performs better than the after market HSF.

If possible try to find an 870 motherboard, rather than a 770, as an 870 will most likely have USB 3.0 and SATA III which provides a little longer utility to the system for a few years down the road.

1. +1 for AMD 870 chipset mobos for the USB3.0 and the SATAIII.

2. +1 for HD4850. Or take a cheapest GPU you can get and get a brand new HD6xxx after it is already on the market, which will not be long anymore.

3. If you are not OC, you don't even have to bother using an after market HSF. Moreover, The stock cooler is actually good.

4. As for the PSU, what do you mean by cm? cooler master? You might wanna get better know brand for PSUs like Antec, Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, Tagan or PPC.

5. Now th epower rating of the PSU, do you plan to OC? If not than 600W is already more than enough. If yes than you would consoder having about 750W instead.

6. I see the RAM, but I don't see how much is the RAM size? You will need about 4GB (2x2) for daily usages and games.

Note :
You can also postpone the built until next year after Intel Sandy Bridge and AMD Bulldozer are already on the market.

457 quid
Untitled-1976.jpg

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738-16.html
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.