Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade - Do I have enough power?

Last response: in CPUs
January 12, 2011 5:04:11 PM

Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions.

I want to upgrade the current CPU in my laptop from a Core 2 Duo p8400@2.26(3 MB L2 Cache), to a Core 2 Duo T9900@3.06 (6 MB L2 Cache)

By watching video's and lurking forums, I know it will give me a nice boost I need in the games that I play, but I'm worried about 2 things.

My current CPU has a TDP of 25W while the t9900 has a TDP of 35W.

1. Will the extra 10 watts generate too much heat? My current CPU gets to about 58C after 3 straight hours of BF:BC2 or Black Ops, which isn't too bad considering its a laptop, I believe the max is 105C. I understand that a more powerful CPU = more heat, but do you think I will be ok? What sort of increase should I expect?

2. I know this is a silly question, but I am really curious as to if I will be feeding this thing enough power, considering I use a 120W power brick for my laptop. Running Bad Company 2 on Max settings 1920x1080 with only 120W seems unbelievable. A desktop running those settings would use well over 300W, am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : cpu upgrade power

a c 159 à CPUs
January 12, 2011 5:51:50 PM

Don't waste money on a newer cpu. They cost too much and have limited performance benefit. If you really want to game on your laptop, get one designed from the ground up for gaming. I saw an alienware at frys for $2199 recently. Don't remember the specs, but it starts with a better gpu. The t9900 probably won't work on your current board, and they're impossible to change; they're proprietary to the laptop case.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 6:20:46 PM

Changing from 25W to 35W means a lot in a laptop. Heat is everything, battery life would suck, and most laptops are not designed well enough to allow easy CPU changes.

And also, if you can run Bad Company 2 on Max settings, on your laptop... let me know what kind of laptop you have!
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2011 7:32:32 PM

o1die said:
Don't waste money on a newer cpu. They cost too much and have limited performance benefit. If you really want to game on your laptop, get one designed from the ground up for gaming. I saw an alienware at frys for $2199 recently. Don't remember the specs, but it starts with a better gpu. The t9900 probably won't work on your current board, and they're impossible to change; they're proprietary to the laptop case.

Sorry but I have to disagree, I'm getting a good deal on this one. It is compatible with my motherboard, and I access my CPU regularly to clean the HSF and to put new TIM on it. Also an FYI, I bought my current laptop for $850 and it can run any game I own, including newer 2010 games such as BFBC2 and Black Ops, at 1920x1080 no problem. Granted thats at medium settings, but that's why I am looking to upgrade.

Why on earth would I spend $2200 on a laptop? If I spend $250 for a brand new T9900, I will be able to max out the games I want, with my investment only being $1100. Thats half the price of the Alienware, with the same performance. No thanks.

m
l
January 12, 2011 7:41:11 PM

1965ohio said:
Changing from 25W to 35W means a lot in a laptop. Heat is everything, battery life would suck, and most laptops are not designed well enough to allow easy CPU changes.

And also, if you can run Bad Company 2 on Max settings, on your laptop... let me know what kind of laptop you have!

Yes it's the heat that I'm worried about, I dont really know what to expect. And battery life is not something I'm worried about, as I don't game on it without it being pugged in. Also I access my cpu regularly so swapping them out won't be a problem.

I can't run Bad Company 2 on max settings YET, only medium settings if I want decent frames. That's why I would like to upgrade, so I can up the quality and still maintain good frames.

I have a Gateway P-7805u FX

Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz
Nvidia 9800m GTS
4GB DDR3
320GB Samsung 7200RPM
23'' external monitor

My CPU is the bottleneck in BC2 and the poorly coded Black Ops :/ 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 7:49:13 PM

I think that your bottleneck will be your graphics in the laptop, even with a new CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 8:00:26 PM

amk09 said:
I can't run Bad Company 2 on max settings YET, only medium settings if I want decent frames. That's why I would like to upgrade, so I can up the quality and still maintain good frames.
If you want to know if your CPU or your GPU is limiting you, increase or lower the visual settings, if FPS stays unchanged then the CPU is holding you back.
m
l
January 12, 2011 8:16:54 PM

clarkjd said:
I think that your bottleneck will be your graphics in the laptop, even with a new CPU.

Well currently my CPU is the bottleneck, but if I do get the T9900, then things might change, but as of now my CPU is unable to fully push my GPU. And since I'll never be able to upgrade my GPU other than overclocking it, I might as well get something that can fully utilize it.
m
l
January 12, 2011 9:26:04 PM

amk09, honestly it's a waste of effort and money too. Sorry to be candid :) 
If you wanna save power plus with a new CPU/GPU ten look for the Sandy bridge based Laptops (wait for the flood), am sure they gonna rock the performance. As usual, you need to spend some dough too!
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
January 13, 2011 6:23:30 AM

#1. Don't know about the extra heat. Enough posters above me have told you the upgrade won't be worth it, so I am not going to bother.

#2. Laptop components are designed to be optimized for low power operation. Equivalently priced desktop components are nearly always going to be faster and use more power. It's called a trade off.
m
l
!