Sign in with
Your question

CPU overheating? computer BLOW UP?

Last response: in CPUs
January 12, 2011 5:25:40 PM

I've just replaced the fan on my CPU and i want to know if it over heats what will happen?

Will i get warning sign?

will the computer restart?
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 5:38:07 PM

What kind of computer do you have? Dell, HP or home built? Most newer computers have thermal protection. Either an alarm that will beep, or it will shut down until it is cooler. If your computer is older... maybe it will not give you any signs.

Also, depending on the board manufacturer, you can go into the BIOS and check the fan speeds and CPU core temperature.

As long as you replaced the old fan with a new one that is the same specs, and it is securely mounted to the CPU, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

:D 
a c 172 à CPUs
January 13, 2011 9:22:43 AM

Check the PC Health section of your BIOS. You can do settings for CPU fan failure and CPU temperature limits.

On all of my motherboards, I set the CPU fan warning to ON and I set the CPU temperature limits to 70 C. The alarm is BIOS beeps during operation.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 12:53:59 PM

Do people read anymore? I am from the group of people that feel if you cant read and understand what your cpu does when it overheats, you shouldnt be touching it.

Dont get me wrong, I think experimenting with them is great - but for gods sake, open google and type in the words at least....
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 1:09:33 PM

vvhocare5 said:
Do people read anymore? I am from the group of people that feel if you cant read and understand what your cpu does when it overheats, you shouldnt be touching it.

Dont get me wrong, I think experimenting with them is great - but for gods sake, open google and type in the words at least....

Or, you could quit being a jerk and realize you're on a Q & A forum. People ask questions. Other people answer them. If this isn't your cup of tea, feel free to leave at any time.
!