Sign in with
Your question

Issues with WD My book essential 2 TB

Last response: in Storage
January 26, 2013 6:12:52 PM

Hello,
I have backed up all my information on WD My book Essential 2 TB. This drive since yesterday is not being recognized by the computer. I'm working on the Win8 release preview. Under disk management, its asking me to initialize disk, giving me options to choose MBR or GPT as the method.
I MUST recover the data on this disk. life's work on it without any other backup. PLEASE HELP. u can also email me on sparkproper@gmail.com. NEED HELP..

More about : issues book essential

a c 79 G Storage
January 27, 2013 6:55:25 AM

We do not provide help by email. There would be little point in having a forum if we replied to email addresses.

Having only one backup of your data is not enough, especially where an external hard drive is used (higher failure rates than internal hard drives). You should use at least two drives for backups.

Remove the drive from the MyBook enclosure if possible, and fit it into a third-party enclosure.
January 29, 2013 5:21:39 AM

To initial this disk at first and recover your data afterwards is not right, since it would make it far more difficult to recover your data back completely. Therefore, you should pay attention.
In your case, the right way is exactly opposite. You should run a free drive recovery tool to access your data and the initial this disk without hesitation. (This freeware has ever recovered numerous pictures from my camera memory card. It works well on a drive and memory card. So, I think it also can recover your data easily. If you want to try it, visit there: http://blog4mark.blogspot.com/2013/01/memory-card-recov...)
Important note: You should not put new data on this disk in case of data loss.
You should keep your important data on two different drives.
!