Touchpad frozen

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 12, 2005 9:19:43 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

My daughter has a Gericom laptop which has worked flawlessly: until now.

When it was turned off last night there were no problems apparent but when
it was turned on this morning the touchpad was frozen. The pointer will not
move and the two 'buttons' adjacent to the touchpad have no effect.
Plugging in a USB mouse enables the laptop to be used as normal.

Looking in Device Manager, I cannot see any reference to a touchpad. If the
mouse is plugged in then a reference to 'Mice and other pointing devices'
appears but does not include a touchpad.

I have used System Restore to restore the laptop to times prior to the
problem but this has had no effect.

I have used Install New Hardware from Control Panel but this has not
detected the touchpad.

Win XP Home SP2 is installed, as are all updates.

Anyone got any ideas?

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative

More about : touchpad frozen

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 9:19:44 PM

On 12 Jan 2005 18:19:43 GMT, F <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote:

>My daughter has a Gericom laptop which has worked flawlessly: until now.

This is not a technical problem... it's a kids' problem!

Look closely and u should see telltale of spilled liquid. The pad
needs to be replace. If u are handly enough, u may try to remove it,
clean it up, re-install and see what happens.

The laptop's warranty may cover such things.
January 12, 2005 9:19:44 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have seen similar behavior with my IBM thinkpad, but only after
having plugged in an external mouse. Once the external drivers were
loaded by the plug-n-play BIOS, it would "zonk" the driver for the
Trackpoint. The solution was to reboot in safe mode. Did your
recently start using the USB mouse with this machine before the
problem... or only after?

Good luck...

F wrote:
> My daughter has a Gericom laptop which has worked flawlessly: until
now.

> When it was turned off last night there were no problems apparent but
when
> it was turned on this morning the touchpad was frozen. The pointer
will not
> move and the two 'buttons' adjacent to the touchpad have no effect.
> Plugging in a USB mouse enables the laptop to be used as normal.
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2005 9:38:48 PM

F wrote:
> My daughter has a Gericom laptop which has worked flawlessly: until
> now.
>
> When it was turned off last night there were no problems apparent but
> when it was turned on this morning the touchpad was frozen. The
> pointer will not move and the two 'buttons' adjacent to the touchpad
> have no effect. Plugging in a USB mouse enables the laptop to be used
> as normal.
>
> Looking in Device Manager, I cannot see any reference to a touchpad.
> If the mouse is plugged in then a reference to 'Mice and other
> pointing devices' appears but does not include a touchpad.
>
> I have used System Restore to restore the laptop to times prior to the
> problem but this has had no effect.
>
> I have used Install New Hardware from Control Panel but this has not
> detected the touchpad.
>
> Win XP Home SP2 is installed, as are all updates.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

Under Win XP, there is normally a touchpad icon in the right-hand taskbar
group. Is this not there?

Remove "nospam" from return address.
January 13, 2005 1:02:37 AM

bobb <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in

> This is not a technical problem... it's a kids' problem!

She's no kid: 21+!

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
January 13, 2005 1:02:39 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Dennis Pogson" <dennisnospam_pogson@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> Under Win XP, there is normally a touchpad icon in the right-hand taskbar
> group. Is this not there?

It's not there (realised I'd not mentioned this soon after I had posted -
sorry!).

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
January 13, 2005 3:22:59 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Gene" <gde061-web@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Did your
> recently start using the USB mouse with this machine before the
> problem... or only after?

Hi, thanks for the response.

The mouse was used for a short time some weeks previously and with no
apparent problems. It's being used now as it's the only way to access files
on the machine...

I'll have a look at it in safe mode to see if I can spot anything. Any tips
on anything in particular to look for or do?

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 13, 2005 3:23:00 AM

On 13 Jan 2005 00:22:59 GMT, F <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote:

>The mouse was used for a short time some weeks previously and with no
>apparent problems. It's being used now as it's the only way to access files
>on the machine...

If this is XP you are running, when the USB mouse is unplugged, XP
acknowledges the unplug via an audible feedback. If u don't hear this,
it means XP thinks the USB mouse is still plugged in when it's not.

On my VAIO though, plugging in my USB mouse does not disable the
touchpad, and I can use both.

Granted, software problem is more likely than hardware, but since as
far as u know, nobody installed anything, or downloaded stuff from the
NET and......
January 13, 2005 1:37:56 PM

> If this is XP you are running, when the USB mouse is unplugged, XP
> acknowledges the unplug via an audible feedback. If u don't hear this,
> it means XP thinks the USB mouse is still plugged in when it's not.

It was working the night before when turned off, but wasn't when re-booted
next morning. The symptoms, though, sound like what we would get in the
circumstances you describe; except the mouse and pointing devices are
removed from Device Manager when the mouse is unplugged.

So, how do we get it to 'find' the touchpad again?

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
January 15, 2005 5:38:19 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

F <frank@spinningweb.notnet> wrote in

> My daughter has a Gericom laptop which has worked flawlessly: until
> now.
>
> When it was turned off last night there were no problems apparent but
> when it was turned on this morning the touchpad was frozen. The
> pointer will not move and the two 'buttons' adjacent to the touchpad
> have no effect.

After some useful suggestions on here, a lot of Googling and couple of
phone calls to some very helpful people at Gericom Support (I used the
00800 number for Ireland from the UK, as it *should* be free from here
too), the problem seems to be solved.

So, for anyone else who might experience the problem, this is what to do:

Go to http://download.gericom.com -> notebook -> EgoMS1003 -> bios and
download ego.kb.bios.img

Go to http://download.gericom.com -> notebook -> EgoMS1003 -> driver and
download touchpad.exe

Use rawwritewin from http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm to
unpack ego.kb.bios.img and burn the files onto a *bootable* CD

Use the CD to reflash the bios. *This is at your own risk - read the
warning on the screen about your warranty*.

Once the bios has been flashed, and the laptop has been rebooted, double
click touchpad.exe, go into the Touchpad folder it created and run
setup.exe

Follow the instructions, reboot and the problem should be fixed!

The above worked for me but I cannot accept resonsibility for anything
nasty that might happen to your laptop, or any data on it, or the weather
next Summer...

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
!