Can't see workgroup computers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hi,

I've got 2 computers, one wireless, one wired, in the same workgroup.
Neither
can see each other or THEMSELVES. I've been through this before with another
network and have had no luck in solving the problem. Any thoughts?

Bill

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

This is likelay a firewall issue. Check for McAfee firewall, Norton Firewall
or Windows Firewall on the network connection. Try to disable them then try
the connection again.

"Bill Lampman" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got 2 computers, one wireless, one wired, in the same workgroup.
> Neither
> can see each other or THEMSELVES. I've been through this before with another
> network and have had no luck in solving the problem. Any thoughts?
>
> Bill

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got 2 computers, one wireless, one wired, in the same
> workgroup.
> Neither
> can see each other or THEMSELVES. I've been through this
> before with another
> network and have had no luck in solving the problem. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Bill

Posible resolves and questions:
1. Is windows file sharing and client for windows networks installed
and enabled on both computers?
2. Any GOOD wireless access point should have a built in hardware
firewall, to stop any "unwanted" access, refer to your wireless access
points manul, and unblock ports as nessasery (in theory you should
only need to unblock port TCP 139 between the wired and wireless
network).
3. Try and connect using IP addresses. Get the IP address of one
computer (using ipconfig) and open explorer and type
\*ipofothercomputerhere*

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-workgroup-computers-ftopict420803.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1406469

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I have a similar problem. I just set up a wireless home network aand the
internet connection works great. However, I can't get to the other computers
on the network. In fact when I look for other computers in the workgroup, I
get the following message: ' "Home Network name" is not available. You might
not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator
of this server to see if you have access to this resource. ' I did say yes
to file sharing during the setup process.
Any thoughts???

Bob L
"Bill Lampman" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got 2 computers, one wireless, one wired, in the same workgroup.
> Neither
> can see each other or THEMSELVES. I've been through this before with another
> network and have had no luck in solving the problem. Any thoughts?
>
> Bill

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:01:02 -0700, "Bob L" <Bob L@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Bill Lampman" wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got 2 computers, one wireless, one wired, in the same workgroup.
>> Neither
>> can see each other or THEMSELVES. I've been through this before with another
>> network and have had no luck in solving the problem. Any thoughts?
>>
>> Bill

>I have a similar problem. I just set up a wireless home network aand the
>internet connection works great. However, I can't get to the other computers
>on the network. In fact when I look for other computers in the workgroup, I
>get the following message: ' "Home Network name" is not available. You might
>not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator
>of this server to see if you have access to this resource. ' I did say yes
>to file sharing during the setup process.
>Any thoughts???
>
>Bob L

Bob,

Your symptoms are slightly different from Bills. You appear to have no browser
running, or none visible from the problem computer.

You would be better off starting a new and descriptive thread, so you can be
helped properly.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#Hijacking>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/how-to-post-on-usenet-and-encourage.html#Hijacking

--