Help! I have narrowed it down to the Canon s500 or A95.

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 9, 2005 3:14:39 AM

What should I do. I'm an amateur, will use auto. I like the size of
the s500. Am I giving up anything for the size?

Thanks
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 3:14:40 AM

Eddie wrote:
> What should I do. I'm an amateur, will use auto. I like the size of
> the s500. Am I giving up anything for the size?
>
> Thanks

No matter what camera you choose, you will be giving up SOMETHING.
But for a newbie, you will not be giving up many important features that
you actually NEED to get outstanding pictures up to 8x10".
But I think that the Canon S500 will exceed your expectations and
provide you with a lot of pleasure.
It is petite, so you can carry it in your shirt pocket wherever you go.
You will not miss a vacation photo op because the camera is in your car
or at the hotel, which is often the case with bulkier, heavier cameras.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:02:16 PM

"Eddie" <wendy.kiss@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> What should I do. I'm an amateur, will use auto. I like the size of
> the s500. Am I giving up anything for the size?

I have the S400 and it is a fantastic little camera just one step down
from the S500. It is truly front pants/shorts pocketable which means
you can always have it on you wherever you go. I've been in many
situations where others have said their camera is "in the car" or
somewhere else and so ask if I would take some pics for them, too. On
a recent Las Vegas trip I took over 300 shots indoors and out and the
results were superb. The small form factor also lets you quickly and
easily take one-handed shots (including portaits :) .
January 9, 2005 3:16:51 PM

Hi,

I have the Canon S500 and love it for grab shots. It is small enough to carry
in a purse or, if you are a male on a belt pouch. Pictures are quite good.
Check the review at dpreview.com
Rosita
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:33:14 PM

Bob Williams wrote:

> Eddie wrote:
>
>> What should I do. I'm an amateur, will use auto. I like the size of
>> the s500. Am I giving up anything for the size?
>>
>> Thanks
>

> No matter what camera you choose, you will be giving up SOMETHING.
> But for a newbie, you will not be giving up many important features that
> you actually NEED to get outstanding pictures up to 8x10".
> But I think that the Canon S500 will exceed your expectations and
> provide you with a lot of pleasure.
> It is petite, so you can carry it in your shirt pocket wherever you go.

You need to check that they 'feel' OK - I'm of the 'clumsy/chubby
fingered' type and find some of the smaller cameras hard to handle. I
liked the 'bump' in the hand-grip of the A95, so that's the one I got!

--
Andy - Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of
Advantica Ltd

I have an A95 which I am VERY happy with. The biggest plusses over the S300
are the rotating LCD, the AA batteries, and the multiple modes. The
viewfinder will let you take photos from over your head etc. The AA
batteries are not proprietary so you are not locked into an expensive Li ion
battery.
Optics on the S300 and A95 are virtually the same.
The A95 has more manual modes hence more possibilities for creative
photography if you are so interested.
BUT: The A95 is NOT small and compact. It is not large but if you are
looking for a small compact camera the S300 is the way to go. You give up
some features compared with the A95 but if you are looking for a very
convenient point and shoot, it may be the way to go.
Matthew

!