Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU the true bottleneck??

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 12, 2011 8:38:50 PM

Hello everyone,

Recently, after getting an AMD Radeon HD 6870 and a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD for Christmas (in an attempt to be able to properly game again after using an nvidia GeForce 9600 GT for many years) I have seen no improvement in my computers performance, other than the fact that I can jack up game settings to max, and still get the same FPS I had with my old GPU.

When I had this system built by a shop down the street (which I will NEVER use again after i found out they knew of my CPU's issues, and still put it in for their own profit) they put in an ECS A780GM-A (V1.1) MOBO, a 750w PSU and an AMD Phenoom X4 9600. (Keeping my year old 9600 GT, and 3 year old HDD)

I spent $1000 on this system seeking some decent performance.

So anyways, enough back story, the question being, is my AMD Phenom X4 9600 the only thing still bottlenecking my system? IF it is, I'm going to invest in an AMD Phenom II X4 955.

Is there another bottleneck?

My MOBO is AM3 compatible, but won't I also need to replace my DDR2 RAM with DDR3?

What else will needed to be changed with the new CPU?

Thanks in advance, i'm looking forward to your wisdom!

-Chris

More about : cpu true bottleneck

a c 141 à CPUs
January 12, 2011 8:58:31 PM

You can overclock that cpu to see for sure but the Phenom 9600 wasn't exactly know for its great performance and any athlonII x4 cpu will offer better performance and a phenom ii will be even better. Not many games use 4 cores so get the highest clocked on you can afford if you dont like to overclock. Even the pheonomii x6 cpus work on that board and you won't need to buy new memory since you don't have ddr3 slots.

Here is the cpu support list for your board:
http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 9:01:21 PM

Did you use drive sweeper to get rid of all the nvidia junk left behind? If not do it now.

I would say you got ripped off.

You better check your motherboard website for the CPU compatibility list, because I doubt that new CPU is on the list.
m
l
Related resources
a c 141 à CPUs
January 12, 2011 9:08:24 PM

Socket AM3 AMD Phenom™ II Six-Core Black Edition1090T (E0) (125W) 3200 MHz 4000 512KB x6 YES*

thats straight from the cpu support list. :) 
m
l
January 12, 2011 9:23:50 PM

Quote:
hi

What resolutions are you playing at?
I would say more the gpu from limiting your system than the cpu.

You can do a test. Switch AA on and see how it runs.
Then switch it off. If it runs smoother with it off its on your gpu side.

My apologies what gpu are you using now? The 9600 or the 6870?

I play at 1920x1080, on the Radeon HD 6870

The AA didn't seem to make any differences =\
m
l
January 12, 2011 9:25:11 PM

daship said:
Did you use drive sweeper to get rid of all the nvidia junk left behind? If not do it now.

I would say you got ripped off.

You better check your motherboard website for the CPU compatibility list, because I doubt that new CPU is on the list.

It was installed on a fresh, bare drive, so everything nvidia is gone.

Yeah, I plan on going back to the shop and complaining.
m
l
January 12, 2011 9:26:08 PM

popatim said:
You can overclock that cpu to see for sure but the Phenom 9600 wasn't exactly know for its great performance and any athlonII x4 cpu will offer better performance and a phenom ii will be even better. Not many games use 4 cores so get the highest clocked on you can afford if you dont like to overclock. Even the pheonomii x6 cpus work on that board and you won't need to buy new memory since you don't have ddr3 slots.

Here is the cpu support list for your board:
http://www.ecsusa.com/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...

I have previously tried to OC the CPU with horrible results, blue screens here and there, and that's only with in increase of 5
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2011 9:51:19 PM

Your processors stock speed is 2.3ghz.
Which is very low for newer games considering most only use 1 or 2 cores. It is the minimum requirement for a lot or newer games.
Your processor new cost about $120.00 .
Your motherboard is about as cheap as the come. NEVER use ECS motherboards, they are the bottom of the quality list.
the processor is several years old about 3 generations behind.
So yeah you seriously got ripped of. They sold you their old parts noone wanted for top dollar price.

For $1000.00 you could of had a everything new up to date monster rig.

Sorry to break the bad news but it is what you asked.

edit: Serious typos ,my cat was helping.
m
l
January 12, 2011 10:14:36 PM

Unolocogringo said:
Your processors stock speed is 2.3ghz.
Which is very low for newer games considering most only use 1 or 2 cores. It is the minimum requirement for a lot or newer games.
Your processor new cost about $120.00 .
Your motherboard is about as cheap as the come. NEVER use ECS motherboards, they are the bottom of the quality list.
the processor is several years old about 3 generations behind.
So yeah you seriously got ripped of. They sold you their old parts noone wanted for top dollar price.

For $1000.00 you could of had a everything new up to date monster rig.

Sorry to break the bad news but it is what you asked.

edit: Serious typos ,my cat was helping.

the system was built in november 09, and I didn't get a choice with what they put in there.
m
l
January 12, 2011 11:05:33 PM

Quote:
then its a cpu bottleneck. What's your current speed of your cpu? You can try overclocking it bit by bit. You can push it up 100mhz at a time and see if it starts to make a difference. around 3.2ghz or 3.4Ghz should be enough

Stock is 2.3GHz

Put it up to 2.6ghz and I got blue screens, because of the Phenom 1 series memory leaks, OC'ing them is very painstaking =[

m
l
!