Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD - Very Slow

Last response: in Storage
January 26, 2013 10:10:19 PM

I have a Crucial M4 SSD and currently only GTA IV is installed on it. I wanted to get faster loading times and faster texture loading. However, I am experiencing the opposite. When me and my friend play the game together through LAN, his HDD loads his game 4X as fast! Even my HDD loads faster than my SSD. What is going on? The SSD is so much slower, it seriously adds 4X as much loading. The only reason I keep the game on the SSD is that it does load textures and keeps them loaded much better than the HDD. The slow loading is not only during the game start up either. Starting multiplayer, re-spawning after dieing, and exiting multiplayer all take 4X as long. Any help would be much appreciated, I feel as if I bought a dud.

The SSD is in a SATA III port running in AHCI mode with TRIM activated.

Ran CrystalDiskMark:
Read Write
Seq 507 200
512k 385 202
4k 29.8 110.6
QD32 286.7 178.3

Rest of specs:
i7-3770k oc to 4.34ghz
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 4GB OC @ 1267Mhz
Cooler Master922
Hyper 212evo push/pull
OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
128GB Crucial M4 SSD

More about : ssd slow

a c 504 G Storage
January 26, 2013 10:56:42 PM

Your motherboard has 5 SATA 3 (6Gb/s) ports.
Verify that your drive is connected to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports (SATA3_0 or SATA3_1), not one of the Marvell 6Gb/s ports (GSATA3_6 thru GSATA3_8).
January 26, 2013 11:39:22 PM

Dereck47 said:
Verify that your drive is connected to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports (SATA3_0 or SATA3_1), not one of the Marvell 6Gb/s ports (GSATA3_6 thru GSATA3_8).

It is connected to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports.
Related resources
January 26, 2013 11:41:42 PM

Dereck47 said:

That would be the "white" SATA connector on the motherboard (between the gray and the black).
January 27, 2013 12:03:35 AM

Dereck47 said:
Sorry, don't know what else to suggest. Hopefully other members will be able to help you.

I checked 3 different review sites and your CrytalDiskMark results show that your drive is in the normal range.
http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/crucial-m4-128gb-sa...
http://www.storagereview.com/crucial_m4_ssd_64gb128gb_r...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-320-cruci...

Thanks for the help. I guess it wouldn't matter that the HDD and SSD use the SATA III ports does it? They will not conflict right?
a c 504 G Storage
January 27, 2013 12:10:30 AM

No, each port has its own separate bandwidth, so there's no conflict there.

Did you do a fresh O/S install, or did you clone or image your O/S?

If you installed your O/S from a clone or image it's possible that your O/S is not aligned properly.
January 27, 2013 12:15:36 AM

Dereck47 said:

If you installed your O/S from a clone or image it's possible that your O/S is not aligned properly.

My OS isn't on the SSD its on the HDD. Only GTA IV is on the SSD. I guess the game just does not like my SSD as I have seen youtube videos demonstrating quick loading times. Oh well.

But on the topic, if I installed the OS on the SSD wouldn't I have to reinstall all my programs again?
a c 504 G Storage
January 27, 2013 12:22:19 AM

unknownxxvii said:
But on the topic, if I installed the OS on the SSD wouldn't I have to reinstall all my programs again?

Yes, you would.
January 27, 2013 12:47:17 AM

Dereck47 said:

This brings up an interesting idea. I copied all the files for GTA IV from my back-up external HDD because I do a lot of modding, do you think this is the issue? Should i rather install the game directly to the SSD and then patch it up and mod it? Would it be OK to install the game, and then replace what I have modded via copy and paste from the HDD? Also, the last question, does My Documents need to be in the SSD so it can load my save files faster? Thanks

Best solution

a c 504 G Storage
January 27, 2013 12:58:10 AM

unknownxxvii said:
Should i rather install the game directly to the SSD and then patch it up and mod it?

Yes, I think that would give you the best performance.

Would it be OK to install the game, and then replace what I have modded via copy and paste from the HDD? said:
Would it be OK to install the game, and then replace what I have modded via copy and paste from the HDD?

Yes.

Also, the last question, does My Documents need to be in the SSD so it can load my save files faster? Thanks said:
Also, the last question, does My Documents need to be in the SSD so it can load my save files faster? Thanks

Sorry, not to sure about that one way or the other.
January 27, 2013 10:23:04 PM

Dereck47 said:
Yes, I think that would give you the best performance.

Yes.

Sorry, not to sure about that one way or the other.

Installing the game directly to the SSD did the trick, thanks.
January 27, 2013 10:23:27 PM

Best answer selected by unknownxxvii.
!