Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO vs. GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P

Last response: in Motherboards
September 12, 2011 2:16:22 PM

Getting ready to make a purchase, but wanted to run this by you guys real quick.

I'm looking at two motherboards right now and can't decide between the two:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

It seems like the Asus has a few more ports. But what's better in terms of reliability?

My build includes:

1. SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW Matte black 0.8mm Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
2. Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
3. CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile
4. SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
5. SLI - EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
6. COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
7. COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler
8. SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

Thanks in advance.

a c 121 V Motherboard
September 12, 2011 3:17:34 PM

They are pretty much the same board, as you said. Very minor differences.

I personally prefer the Asus brand, they seem to be better made / last longer.

That's just my 2 cents though :) 
m
l
September 12, 2011 3:30:11 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm seriously considering the Asus, but some of the reviews are a bit frightening. Then again I suppose all these components have the possibility of being DOA or faulty in some way.

Also I apologize. I scrolled down the page and there was someone asking essentially the same question.
m
l
Related resources
a c 121 V Motherboard
September 12, 2011 3:32:33 PM

Any manufacturer could have the possibility of a DOA board. Asus does have a really good CS dept in the case that happens.

Gigabyte makes great boards as well, it really comes down to personal preference since both boards will perform the same. I personally prefer Asus, others will tell you they personally prefer Gigabyte.

good luck!
m
l
September 12, 2011 4:50:53 PM

Between those two,it has to be the Asus and don't worry about any money that can be saved. Just get the Asus.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b å Intel
September 12, 2011 5:29:10 PM

I have the Gigabyte board and it's great. The only thing is I'd get the UD4P instead of the UD3. For some reason the UD3 has built-in HDMI output which you don't really need, instead get the UD4 since it has Firewire and eSATA, which the UD3 doesn't have.
m
l
September 12, 2011 5:58:32 PM

No! Do not listen to Gigabyte follows,they're just as bad as amd bulldozer fans that seem to run out of diesel all the time. Just get the Asus & you'll be alright.
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:55:01 PM

I prefer the Asus as well. As far as I am aware, the Asus Motherboard has a better power phase system (better for the CPU), and it also has Bluetooth 3.0 (which may or may not matter to you).

On a side note, I see that you picked out a CM Silent Pro Gold 1000w for your system. Unless you are planning on adding a second GTX 570 for SLI, that much wattage is serious overkill. Power supplies tend to be most efficient when you are using between 20% and 80% of the power it is rated for, so you don't want to get one that has too much power and stays below 20% usage most of the time.

On a second side note, I just wanted to give you a heads up about that case. I have the same case, and it is truly a fantastic case to use. Among the best in airflow, pretty quiet, and easy enough to build in. My only suggestion would be to check out the Silverstone RV02B-EW model as well. The EW model is newer, and the biggest change they made is with the Hard Drive cage. The hard drive cage in the original model (RV02-BW) can be a pain in the a-- to work with, especially if you need to remove or add hard drives once the computer is already set up. The EW model is also supposed to have higher airflow 180mm fans at the bottom, but the downside I've heard is that they also generate a little more noise.
m
l
September 14, 2011 1:33:46 PM

PennyLife said:
I prefer the Asus as well. As far as I am aware, the Asus Motherboard has a better power phase system (better for the CPU), and it also has Bluetooth 3.0 (which may or may not matter to you).

On a side note, I see that you picked out a CM Silent Pro Gold 1000w for your system. Unless you are planning on adding a second GTX 570 for SLI, that much wattage is serious overkill. Power supplies tend to be most efficient when you are using between 20% and 80% of the power it is rated for, so you don't want to get one that has too much power and stays below 20% usage most of the time.

On a second side note, I just wanted to give you a heads up about that case. I have the same case, and it is truly a fantastic case to use. Among the best in airflow, pretty quiet, and easy enough to build in. My only suggestion would be to check out the Silverstone RV02B-EW model as well. The EW model is newer, and the biggest change they made is with the Hard Drive cage. The hard drive cage in the original model (RV02-BW) can be a pain in the a-- to work with, especially if you need to remove or add hard drives once the computer is already set up. The EW model is also supposed to have higher airflow 180mm fans at the bottom, but the downside I've heard is that they also generate a little more noise.

Thanks to everyone who's posted in the thread. I really appreciate the assistance with this. Being a first time builder I'm somewhat nervous about building and want to be sure that everything is compatible. Weird. None of these responses came up in my email.

I have change my order in that I am now purchasing the Silverstone RV02B-EW. I am running the 570's in SLI. I've been told that I could get by with 850w, but I want to be sure that i have enough power.

I've notice the different modes in the PCI 2.0 slots. Specifically:

2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 or dual at x8 / x8 mode)
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot* [black] (max. at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)

Can somone explain this to me. I though this board had Quad Sli/crossfire support? There's only 3 slots?

I can SLI 2 gtx 570's right?

Sorry if that sounds really stupid, but I wanna be sure.
m
l

Best solution

a c 121 V Motherboard
September 14, 2011 2:22:00 PM

The reason for the confusion on the PCIe slots is the CPU only has a limited amount of "Lanes" it can use to transfer date. This is actually limited by the Northbridge (or the memory controller). Since it only has a limited amount of lanes, it is not possible for it to use multiple cards with 16 lanes each.

So, when you have a single card in it uses 16 lanes for 1 card
When you have 2 cards in it uses 8 lanes for each card (2 x 8 = 16)

The reason it says it can support quad SLI is slightly misleading. You can not actually drop 4 cards into that board, you can however drop 2 cards such as the GTX 590, which are already "SLI'd" but on a single card. (1 card, 2 GPU's x 2 = 4 GPU ~ Quad SLI)

Despite the fact that the MB uses the same 16 lanes to run both cards will not negatively impact the performance however. The lanes use a very high speed bus, and no card comes close to fully saturating those pipelines completely.

Long story short, yes you can use 2 570's in SLI. :) 
September 14, 2011 3:38:47 PM

Best answer selected by mrj1072.
m
l
!