SOLVED/Questions on newly built pc.

Gushwa

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hello people, I just built a system, I know it's not the greatest, but it's all I could afford right now. Most parts are new. New case, into which I put a new Asus P5N-D MB, 775 socket, P-4 3.4Ghz.with new heat sink, New set crucial 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 unbuff ram, 1 new 500GB Seagate SATA HD, 1 used 160GB Seagate SATA HD w/Win XP already on it, 1 used 80GB Samsung SATA, 1 new Bluray burner LG(these 4 units plugged into the 4 SATA sockets in that order, 1 used DVD burner plugged into the IDE as a slave, I had 1 EVGA Geforce 8600 GTS vid card and bought a new one exactly like it & plugged it in as SLI with the jumper connecting the two, the only difference in the two is that the new one has a 4-pin molex power socket which I plugged power to(that's one question, my old one is exactly like it except for that molex connector, if it's needed, why isn't it needed in my old one?) I plugged the one in anyways, but now I have 4 DVI connections, which I plugged the LCD monitor into one on the new card. I also installed a new 750 watt PSU (Silencer) so I have plenty of power. Question, on a new MB like this, do I have to flash the BIOS? Isn't that already in there? The problem, OK I hit the power, I get one short beep, the screen goes to the ASUS splash screen, if I don't hit delete within a few seconds, it will go to the screen where you choose "Start up normally", "Last known good", "Safe Mode", etc, I tried all three, it gets to the windows black splash screen with the meter going left to right, then when windows is supposed to start, it blue screens for a fraction of a second, and reboots. I haven't been able to get past this yet. In the ASUS manual, it says on first bootup to enter setup, and update the BIOS, could this be the problem? I thought it came with a default BIOS already in there? Anyways it gives four different ways to do it, and one of them is through windows, going to the ASUS site, & DLg it there, which gives credence to what I said about a default BIOS already there?? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Gus

Gushwa

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/09/10/evga_geforce_8600_gts_512mb_superclocked
In the above link, if you read, it shows that this card was changed at some point, because the box says one thing, and what you get is different. Apparently they haven't updated the graphics on the box. I don't have the overclocked ones, just the regular 512mb cards running 675mhz clock. Like I said, the new one has the molex power connector, but the old one has nothing except the SLI bridge conn.

Gushwa

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
I already have XP Pro on the 160Gb HD, but I want to install Win 7, on the new 500Gb HD. I first need it to boot though. I also have plenty I want to save, thats on the two old HD's, is there a way to set it up where the PC see's all three HD's as one? I've looked into RAID, but I don't want to set it up with the same info on multiple HD's, nor where the info is stepped between the three. Is there a way to set it up where my PC will see like one 740Gb drive? Thank You