Sign in with
Your question

HP Envy 14, wait for sandy bridge?

Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2011 12:31:17 AM

I've been going back and forth about this for the past few weeks, but I'm not sure whether to just get a HP Envy 14 with a Core i7 740QM (or possibly 840QM) now, or wait until a possible sandy bridge refresh. Anyone have any suggestions?

More about : envy wait sandy bridge

a c 141 à CPUs
a b α HP
January 13, 2011 1:18:47 AM

Depending on what you'll use it for it may be worthwhile to wait for a SB processor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 1:47:30 AM

I'd wait for Sandy. The old quads were quite power-hungry, and the new sandy bridge quads appear to be both significantly faster and significantly better for battery life.
m
l
Related resources
January 13, 2011 1:56:15 AM

I don't plan on using it for anything crazy processor intensive aside from gaming. What I'm mainly looking for is boot time and general speed with basic computing like opening programs and the like. I have my desktop to take care of the crazy stuff.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 2:05:53 AM

If your looking for something with great graphics then you should buy the one with the sandy bridge. It has on-die graphics that work better than any previous chipset including Intel's HD 4500 and all. Of course they are also out with the quad core as well so it shouldn't hold you back any longer. The sandy bridges will beat the 7 & 840s all day long. Biggest concern now is how much can you afford.
m
l
January 13, 2011 2:39:06 AM

Well it comes with a Radeon HD 5650, Would the on-die GPU be able to outperform that?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 2:50:35 AM

No.

I'd still wait for Sandy Bridge though. One of it's biggest benefits is that the battery life while under light use is enormously improved (while giving more performance under heavy use).
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2011 12:41:04 PM

mrnapalm32 said:
I don't plan on using it for anything crazy processor intensive aside from gaming. What I'm mainly looking for is boot time and general speed with basic computing like opening programs and the like. I have my desktop to take care of the crazy stuff.

I'd get a good SSD for that. My HP notebook has two 360GB drives installed - I've considered pulling the boot drive and using an SSD instead..
m
l
!