Help Me Choose: Gigabyte or MSI for nVIDIA GTX460?

Hell_Raiser

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
My brother wants to replace the old graphics card with new card based on nVIDIA GTX 460 .. He has two choices, Gigabyte GV-N460OC-768I or MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5..

Gigabyte GV-N460OC-768I
016.jpg

MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5
022.jpg

Between that two cards, according to you all, which one is more worth buying?? :)
Or does he have to wait for MSI N460GTX HAWK??
msi-gtx-460-hawk-04.jpg

This product seems quite interesting..:D But the price seems to be more expensive than the two cards above..

For your information, my brother is currently using nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT card and Corsair HX 650W..
Overclocking, maybe just a little/mild overclocking..

Hell_Raiser

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Wow, it turns out at the NewEgg Hawk already on the list.. Hope a few more days it will be up in my area.. :D
He prepares about U.S. $ 250 for the graphics card, whether its adequate or not for a Hawk.. But, thanks for your suggestion.. :)

yakmar

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hello,

This is up to you actually.

The Gigabyte has VRAM heatsinks on it. The others don't. Under load the Gigabyte comes at a max temperature of 66 degrees (depending on your airflow in your system). Also the Gigabyte is a little overclocked.

The HAWK is fairly pricey. It has been more overclocked in the factory then the Gigabyte. But it has the same cooling effect as the Gigabyte. HAWK series are great series though. It would overclock easier then the Gigabyte. No VRAM heatsinks.

The MSI Cyclone is the fastest one of the three here. However it doens't have any VRAM heatsinks on it, so the card might get hotter. Also the fan is noisier then the Gigabyte and the HAWK serie.

I hope this helps.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I'd recommend you skipped all of the above and purchased a new Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum edition, It is the best stock card out of the alot according to a recent review from tom's hardware, It can also be purchased for around the same cost.

Otherwise buy one of these versions of the GTX 460: Asus DirectCU > MSi Cyclone > MSi Hawk > Gigabyte
(In order of performance/value IMO)

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Asus DirectCU gets my vote. $230 is a fair price and it should OC very well.

I personally feel $250 is getting a bit expensive for a GTX460 (like the HAWK) as the ATI 5850 is only $270, and in terms of single card builds the 5850 is a more powerful card so I feel paying $250 for the GTX460 is just is not worth it when for $20 more you get a better card

phenom90

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
buy the gigabyte but get the 1gb frame buffer one.... i had one on my system and it never go higher than 62 degrees celsius during gaming at 80% fan speed.. moreover... its silent.... and yes pre-overclock card is better than this one.. but not very much....

Hell_Raiser

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Thanks..

Looks like the Palit card has a cheaper price than cards from MSI and Gigabyte.. It's just one of my friends have had bad experiences with these brands, so my brother was afraid to buy it..

He is an nVIDIA fan, so he won't choose cards from AMD.. :wahoo:

Thanks for your suggestion.. :)

Helltech

Distinguished
The Hawk, Cyclone, and DirectCU are the best if you plan on overclocking. The Palit Sonic Platinum is good (hell, great) out of the box, and if you don't plan on overclocking its probably the best one to get.

However the Hawk, Cyclone, and DirectCU can overclock to and usually past what the Palit Sonic can offer, and since the GTX460 is such an overclocking friendly card the Palit loses my vote.

Just my two cents.

Also the Cyclone can be found for 205 dollars right now, if price is part of the consideration.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.455033