Sign in with
Your question

2 sticks or 4 sticks for 8gigs of memory

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
September 12, 2011 6:01:48 PM

I want to get 8 gigs of ram for my new gaming computer but heres what I want to know. Is it better to get 4 sticks of 2mb's each or 2 sticks of 4mb each. Does it really matter.
September 12, 2011 6:19:42 PM

doesnt matter for performance, does matter for if you want to upgrade later.
m
l
a b } Memory
September 12, 2011 6:19:46 PM

2 sticks... its simpler, easier to overclock, and leaves you two empty slots should you ever need more than 8 GB.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2011 6:22:47 PM

can't say which scenario would offer better performance (or even if it'd be perceptable), but keep in mind that 2*4G will allow you to upgrade to 4*4G later in the future whereas 4*2G won't (at least not without junking all 4 original sticks).
m
l
a b } Memory
September 12, 2011 7:12:43 PM

Actually 2 x 4 GB. is easier for the CPU memory controller and allows OC'ing though it's not worth the effort to OC DDR3 RAM. Do not buy individual DIMMs. Buy ONE matched, tested 8 GB. RAM Kit.

I would not suggest updating to 16 GB. in the future by adding more RAM as DDR3 RAM is quite sensitive and often even adding the same model RAM DIMMS will not function without issues as many folks at Tom's, Anand's and elsewhere have learned firsthand.

The only way to be sure that the RAM will function without issues is to buy ONE tested, matched RAM kit of the quantity desired, that is intended for your specific CPU. While on occasion some people get lucky and add RAM and it works OK, but it's a real crapshoot when adding RAM, be it identical DIMMs or worse, different model RAM.
m
l
September 12, 2011 7:31:23 PM

So I should get a kit that come with 2 sticks of 4mb for a total of 8gigs or a kit that comes with 4 stick of 2mb for a total of eight. I was going to get 2 pairs of 4mb's for each socket. something like this:

I would buy two sets of the Vengence for example and double them up. The first pair would go in sockets 1 and 3 and the second pair would go in socket 2 and 4. Would that be ok IF I went with that memory setup?
m
l
a b } Memory
September 12, 2011 11:44:45 PM

beenthere is right. Buy a 2 x 4GB kit.
m
l
September 13, 2011 12:11:25 AM

With the 4x2GB you can run two dual channel sets which will even out the load for the CPU. Think about it, by the time you need more than 8GB of ram the rest of your system will be outdated. Causing you to by an entirely new motherboard. Unless you plan on HEAVY audio/video editing while gaming AT THE SAME TIME... 8GB is plenty. Hell... I have 4x1GB sticks and I NEVER use more than 75% running Win7 64bit. I am currently playing GTA4 on max settings with draw distance at 100% and I can minimize that and surf the web with absolutely NO LAG! 16GB is a SERIOUS waste of money that can go to something more usefull for gaming...i dunno... GPU HORSEPOWER!
m
l
September 13, 2011 12:14:10 AM

If you get a good mobo the memory controller can handle two sets of ram
m
l
a b } Memory
September 13, 2011 12:56:30 AM

It really, really doesn't matter.

Having four sticks may distribute the heat better, but really I don't see any issues.

*Always run MEMTEST after installing RAM.

**Check for a BIOS update as a new update may contain RAM profiles.
m
l
September 13, 2011 2:44:45 PM

Cash091 said:
With the 4x2GB you can run two dual channel sets which will even out the load for the CPU. Think about it, by the time you need more than 8GB of ram the rest of your system will be outdated. Causing you to by an entirely new motherboard. Unless you plan on HEAVY audio/video editing while gaming AT THE SAME TIME... 8GB is plenty. Hell... I have 4x1GB sticks and I NEVER use more than 75% running Win7 64bit. I am currently playing GTA4 on max settings with draw distance at 100% and I can minimize that and surf the web with absolutely NO LAG! 16GB is a SERIOUS waste of money that can go to something more usefull for gaming...i dunno... GPU HORSEPOWER!

So... can i know what you meant by "With the 4x2GB you can run two dual channel sets which will even out the load for the CPU " ? Like the CPU won't bear it? Or is it the best way to take the maximum use?

Pleeez, explain... K? Thaaaaank you! ;) 
m
l
!