Sign in with
Your question

Low power consumption / plus gaming performance

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2010 9:43:02 PM

Dear Readers and Tom techies,

I'm interested in building a low power eating gaming rig, I know not the usual mix!

Thinking so far as of parts for this low powered gamer please keep in mind for ALL SUGGESTIONS I want only low power consumption parts.

I look to this community for help in these quest because I respect the input of most save a few!

The reason for this build my kids live in Alaska the power during the winter hours they really kick your tush....and hard on the trousers when I used to get that bill each month.

As for the processor I'm a die hard AMD nut :pt1cable:  supporting them in the hopes my money will help them over throw the evil empire (Intel) please no remarks on how crazy that might be thank guys

OS = Win7 64-bit

PC = Phenom II X4 910e

GPU = ATI - 5570 Card 1GB ddr 5

SSD / OS drive = G.Skill Phoenix PRO 120GB SSD

Ram = 8GB ECC / Kingston KVR1066D3D8R7SK2/8G

Storage hard drive's w/ raid 10 / 4x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB SATA2 64MB

motherboard = Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 (supports ECC memory)

PSU = ? (suggestions wanted)

monitor = Asus ML238H 23"

Optic drive = ? (suggestions wanted)
October 19, 2010 12:13:41 AM

What monitor do you have, the 5570 is too weak for gaming. What games you want to play?
October 19, 2010 12:37:05 AM

Mosox,

Driving games mostly Need for speed, halo, etc. the reason for the 5570 is the 45watt TDP I have played the same games on 5570 ddr2 already not super hi res. but playable on a Vizio 32" 720 i/p res. I don't really know is there something better with same TDP as far as GPU's also I'm looking for a monitor that is low power consumption as well but can handle the upgrade to stronger GPU when the whole system gets revamped again but that will be at least a year or two when better power efficient parts are available with same or better TDP.

thx any input is welcomed
Related resources
October 19, 2010 1:53:28 AM

Karma,

Thank you for the suggestions, as for the 8GB ram, someday this unit (actually hoping it is possible) well be a server of sorts but that is down the road or a linux play toy but these are great suggestion though!

Thank you, Poppasmurf
October 20, 2010 2:11:28 AM

mosox said:
A HD 5670 should be the minimum IMO. For the monitor, those LED backlit are more economical, here's one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you for the info on the monitor 33 watts and 1 watt at idle perfect thanks! Now as for the GPU that ATI - 5570 1 GB ddr5 @ full tilt run she runs a 45 watt! For I agree not your highest settings but an exceptional setting is still playable at med level settings now if this card a 5670 two time the card cause this machine well be running long and hard (ready for this..... 6 flipping kids will be fight for time to play on this from 7 to 24yrs. old) so a second will be made for them if we do good here sorry to say unless it is a mizer as the 5570 cause at 90 is double that is not good really I need the wattage cut WAY back here so any body with good knowledge of green hugging tree wattage saving goodies :)  ( lordie that was a mouthful) are to be had, let me in on the scoop please. thanks again! The quest goes on :pt1cable: 
October 22, 2010 1:40:14 AM

I thinking I'm going to use a M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 motherboard by ASUS they support ECC memory and when this is ready for a new and improved power miser / gamer it well become a server of some sort ;) 
October 14, 2011 9:01:17 PM

Sandy Bridge core i3-2100 gets the best performance/watt numbers of the Intel chips. I'm building a system around it for that reason myself. Too bad my GPU will use 8x the juice that my CPU uses...
!