Sign in with
Your question

Dell AW2310 text blocky when selecting 120hz...HELP PLEASE!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2010 7:20:35 AM

OK folks, I have a problem and need help. I just got a Dell Alienware AW2310 monitor. It does 120hz but when I select it and apply the change, the text on my desktop, windows, explorer, IE, etc all become so blocky and blurred i can't read it. I blew up the DPI to 200 so I could but that does me no good. I played with the True Type setting to no avail. How do I get 120hz going for normal computing? Do I have to switch it every time I play Crysis or any other game? Do I need to set up an automatic switchiong profile in the Nvidia COntrol Panel? Is this even possible? I read in other forums that this should work in game or not in game. I would like 120hz for streaming MLB and NFL games as well as Blu Ray movies I watch on my PC and the games of course. I was planning on getting the Nvidia 3D setup but until I get this issue resolved, it's on hold.

Here is my rig setup:
MSI Big Bang SLI mobo
i7 920 @ stock speeds ( I never OC CPU's)
6GB 12600 Ram (no big deal on this issue!)
Dual 9800 GX2's in quad SLI mode overclocked by 7.5% using EVGA Precision (nice! and MSI said the X58 chipset couldn't do it...morons)
Intel 2nd Generation 160GB SSD
LG BD-DVD-RW Drive
Xfi Fatality Exterme Gamer

My exp index is 6.9 with the 9800's being the slowest point.

Help me ObiWan (or some sh** like that) you're my only hope.
September 1, 2010 8:57:18 AM

I dont have any 3d BD movies but I want 3d gaming. I just spent time playing Crysis with 120hz truned on and it played funny. I already played it once on my old 60hz monitor and it was fine so something is amiss here.
September 3, 2010 5:33:13 AM

Does anyone have this monitor and run 120Hz? What cable do you have and are you running it only with 3D games and 2D/3D movies?
Anonymous
October 22, 2010 7:40:45 AM

mgrovenor said:
Does anyone have this monitor and run 120Hz? What cable do you have and are you running it only with 3D games and 2D/3D movies?

You need a DVI-D cable. Check the net for pics of what the pins should look like. I had the same problem, the cable Alienware gave me was the wrong one. Normal DVI cables work, until you jack up the refresh rate.
October 22, 2010 9:50:01 AM

I found the problem. My DVI-D cable was single link and I need a dual link. Single link has 1/2 the pins and dual link has all the pins. Once I got the right cable 120Hz looks great. I also got 3 gtx470's in 3-way SLI and am running Medal of Honor full blown at 120Hz and it's AWESOME. I just got done watching Predators BLuRay and it was smokin'! I got my monitor off eBay and the seller sent me a VGA cable so I used my 3 year old dvi cable which was single link. $5 and Amazon got me hooked up right!
!