Your question

How to upgrade to my new SSD while keeping all my data

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2013 5:49:35 AM

I could use some help if anyone know how to. I just spent the last two hours trying to upgrade to my new SSD that just arrived. Here is what I want to do. I want to keep all applications and anime and everything I have on my current HDD. Though I want to move my OS to my SSD and change my bios to ACHI. The reason i do not want to wipe my current HDD is because I do not want to download 1.5TB worth of data. Also The most I have as external storage two 16GB flash drives. Anything you guys can input would be greatly appreciated!

More about : upgrade ssd keeping data

a c 138 G Storage
January 27, 2013 6:02:02 AM

sephiroth70001 said:
I could use some help if anyone know how to. I just spent the last two hours trying to upgrade to my new SSD that just arrived. Here is what I want to do. I want to keep all applications and anime and everything I have on my current HDD. Though I want to move my OS to my SSD and change my bios to ACHI. The reason i do not want to wipe my current HDD is because I do not want to download 1.5TB worth of data. Also The most I have as external storage two 16GB flash drives. Anything you guys can input would be greatly appreciated!

you could unplug the old hd..install windows on the new ssd then just install the apps again. all your old data would still be on the hdd untouched. use the ssd as a cache drive to the main hard drive. still leave the main drive as is. myself i would sign up for online storage that free and upload all my movies and music to it and then nuke and pave the old hard drive and start fresh.
m
l
January 27, 2013 7:12:53 AM

smorizio said:
you could unplug the old hd..install windows on the new ssd then just install the apps again. all your old data would still be on the hdd untouched. use the ssd as a cache drive to the main hard drive. still leave the main drive as is. myself i would sign up for online storage that free and upload all my movies and music to it and then nuke and pave the old hard drive and start fresh.

I had tried that with a fresh instal then having the old drive back in though for some reason every application had an error and would not run. Is there something I need to do to my old drive to make it work or something? Also do you know of any sites that I can dump my data to so I can then just nuke my HDD.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2013 7:15:06 AM

also sorry another noob question. Can I just install off my .exe files or how would I go about re-installing the apps again?
m
l
January 28, 2013 12:57:14 AM

Still trying to do this. Thinking of just taking it somewhere and have someone else do it for me. =/
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
January 28, 2013 3:14:47 AM

I don't have enough data to help you, but I'm pretty knowledgeable in this area:

*Let me know if you still need help after this->

First of all:
The ONLY option to keep all existing programs is to CLONE from the Hard Drive to the SSD. You can ONLY do that if the SSD is larger than what you are cloning. So unless your Hard Drive has two partitions with the Windows partition using LESS space than the new SSD there's nothing you can do.

If you REINSTALL Windows you'd need to reinstall all the programs.

STEAM:
I get the impression that you have STEAM. There's an easy solution to avoid reinstalling Steam games.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59909&vpn=CMPSU-700G&m...

What you are doing is slightly different, but would go something like this:
1. Install Windows to the SSD
2. Install STEAM to the Hard Drive (i.e. E:\Steam)
3. Cut and Paste only the "SteamApps" folder into this new Steam folder

I did this myself, but can't remember the exact steps. As long as you don't delete the main SteamApps folder you can rebuild things. Note that SAVE GAMES exist in different locations (often somewhere in "My Documents") so you can usually just paste that folder back if you've saved it.

Cheers.
m
l
January 28, 2013 6:46:46 AM

So no matter what I have to re-install all my programs? So my best option would be to clean install 7 onto my SSD then re-install every program? How would I got about doing that or would I have to wipe my HDD for the new programs to work? I can do that just want to try and save some time with downloads and such though if all I have to do is reinstall a few programs I use then i would be happier then wiping it. lol Sorry if I am not making much sense.
m
l
January 28, 2013 6:55:32 AM

Also is their a way to view how much room there is for the partition to see if I have enough room? My SSD is a 128GB OCZ Agility 4 and All I want on there is Fraps, one game at a time, OS, and if room is left League of Legends. Also thank you guys for time to reply and help me means a lot! =)
m
l
!