Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Powersupply
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 1, 2010 7:33:44 AM

hey I'm goin to buy xfx 9800gtx+

i have 450w normal psu..so can i hold the vga card.?..

here is my system

intel c2q q9505
msi g31 mb
1 stick of ddr2 800 kingston
1 dvd rom
1 sata 7200rpm hard disk
only have orginal cpu fan and casing fan

no additional components

pls post ur suggestions

More about : powersupply 9800gtx

a c 153 U Graphics card
September 1, 2010 7:36:23 AM

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/731/17/

Should work just fine, the 9800GTX+ minimum requirment is a 450w. Now if thats a really bad brand I would still reccommend an upgrade, but thats just me.
Score
September 1, 2010 8:14:24 AM

Hello,

I would recommend a PSU upgrade. Stock PSU are known for bad rails on the powersupply. I would just upgrade to make sure your card is being powered enough. Low voltage or overvoltage can cause damage if the PSU doenst have a protection build in. It's always a guess when they "pass out".

I would recommend a PSU from either Seasonic, Coolermaster, Enermax, or Silverstone.

i hope this helps.
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 1, 2010 10:54:49 AM

yakmar said:
Hello,

I would recommend a PSU upgrade. Stock PSU are known for bad rails on the powersupply. I would just upgrade to make sure your card is being powered enough. Low voltage or overvoltage can cause damage if the PSU doenst have a protection build in. It's always a guess when they "pass out".

I would recommend a PSU from either Seasonic, Coolermaster, Enermax, or Silverstone.

i hope this helps.

thanks what is u recomand psu..is 500w enough
Score

Best solution

September 1, 2010 11:38:09 AM

antonsriyantha said:
thanks what is u recomand psu..is 500w enough

Hello,

Like the post above me Corsair is good aswell. You have two types of PSU's. Modulair and non-Modulair. Modulair is mostly used for simplicy and short cables. Non modulair is used for cable management, so it has longer cables. (most of the time).

500W is more then enough. Take a look at the brands and make your choice. Only if you want to have SLI in the future i would recommend getting a 600W.

a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2010 12:46:23 PM

Err, modular power supplies are much more management-friendly than non-modular power supplies since the power cables are detachable. I don't think the length of the cables have anything to do with whether the power supply is modular or not.
Score
a c 1649 U Graphics card
September 1, 2010 12:47:01 PM

Do not forget it is not only the watts that count but the amps on the +12 volt rail as well. A 9800GTX+ requires (according to EVGA) 450watt with 24amps on the combined +12volt rail.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2010 12:58:57 PM

How much RAM do you have.? You mentioned just one stick.. Hopefully that is a 2GB count.. That is the bare minimum recommended nowadays.. Adding another 2GB stick will you a noticeable amount of smoothness.. As for the PSU, Corsair VX 450 will be enough power.. You can opt for a higher wattage PSU though which will run through your future upgrades and relieve you from the tension of asking/upgrading the PSU everytime you make a purchase.. Depends on your budget though..
Score
September 1, 2010 2:06:06 PM

skolpo said:
Err, modular power supplies are much more management-friendly than non-modular power supplies since the power cables are detachable. I don't think the length of the cables have anything to do with whether the power supply is modular or not.

Not entirely true. You can stack longer and invidual cables better up then the modular ones. Some of the modular are way to short so you cannot get them behind your case. I am not saying all have it, but most of them have.

Score
a b U Graphics card
September 1, 2010 2:58:29 PM

Just because a PSU is modular doesn't mean the cables are shorter. Where did you get that idea? Heck, I know that some people complain about having too long of a cable on modular power supplies and too short of cables on non-modular power supplies. And the fact that modular PSUs allow you to select only cables you need, it's already tenfold easier to manage without having to worry about hiding unused cables on the closed-end of a case. That picture is a rather bad example, modular or not. Look at all those extensions...
Score
September 1, 2010 4:48:43 PM

skolpo said:
Just because a PSU is modular doesn't mean the cables are shorter. Where did you get that idea? Heck, I know that some people complain about having too long of a cable on modular power supplies and too short of cables on non-modular power supplies. And the fact that modular PSUs allow you to select only cables you need, it's already tenfold easier to manage without having to worry about hiding unused cables on the closed-end of a case. That picture is a rather bad example, modular or not. Look at all those extensions...

Hello,

Could you please read my reaction again? I am not saying each modular have it. I have my own experiences with it. Each brand offers diffrence variecy.
Score
September 2, 2010 9:46:25 AM

Thanks for all posts guys...
according to your posts i decided to upgrade my psu to 500w coolermaster
Score
September 2, 2010 9:48:29 AM

Best answer selected by antonsriyantha.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 11:12:07 AM

antonsriyantha said:
Thanks for all posts guys...
according to your posts i decided to upgrade my psu to 500w coolermaster

Don't opt for the CoolerMaster.. They are not that high quality PSU manufacturers as the Corsair or the Antec..
Score
a c 332 U Graphics card
September 2, 2010 5:53:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score