Sign in with
Your question

System Upgrade - Keep MB or scrap entirely?

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2010 11:02:27 PM

Hey Guys,

My current system:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
Processor: AMD Athalon 64 3200+
Memory: 2 x GB Kingston ValueRAM 400MHz DDR DIMM (I know i know!)
Video Card: Geforce 6800GT
Power Supply: OCZ Modstream OCZ-520
OS: Windows XP or Windows 7, Depends how i feel when i get it running again.

Now the question is, I'd like to get this computer up to speed again. Mostly just to have a desktop, and I play WOW & SC2. I've deviated away from PC gaming towards console gaming, but PC games always hold dear in my heart. Should I just slap a new video card in, a new processor (whatever 939 Socket I can get) and some more ram and be done with it? Or should I replace the MB and junk pretty much everything? I suppose if I junk everything, then I can keep this one as a spare or a utility computer. I'm really looking forward to upgrading this 15" monitor to a 24" :D 

Any thoughts?

More about : system upgrade scrap

a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2010 11:39:10 PM

The problem with upgrading your system is that the cost of socket 939 processors and DDR1 RAM are way over inflated. I did find an OEM Athlon X2-4400 (2.2GHz) processor at StarMicro for $100. If you can find a set of DDR1 RAM that matches your current set, that will run you about another $75. Add in shipping and you're close to $200.

Now for $210 (assuming you're in the US), you can pick up the following core components:

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-D3 - $50 (cheap, but functional)
CPU - AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz - $94
RAM - G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - $66

As of now, all components have free shipping.

So $200 and you have an obsolete (but functional) dual-core system or $210 for current technology (and a better system overall). If you have a bit more to spend, you could get a better motherboard. Hard to recommend the socket 939 upgrade at this point.

-Wolf sends

P.S. If you do go the new core system route, I'd consider offering you $25 for your old motherboard and I/O shield.
m
l
!